Old Woolworths on The Moor

sheff utd

get personal of you like mate. i just think it's a shame. this city has so much potential, and so many great products available locally.

i don't think i am a snob at all, just realistic about the chances of a business i would either a) like to use or b) would like to own.

you cant slate the moor in one breath and then get all arsey when someone 'tells it like it is'.

the moor is crammed with discount stores exclusively because they prosper in that part of town. and you can keep your 'there a recession on' excuse. it's not like there were a variety of 'boutique' stores that have disappeared - there has never been any demand for them.

also fwiw, i use the moor regularly, i work by it, and find it to be one of the most useful parts of town for general shopping. i find the impotent rage it attracts quite funny really.

Sheffield is full of scrubbers... as the person said 99% of people who ask for anything on this forum starts with Cheap......... wanted..... Somtimes you have to pay for quality. The moor is for scrubbers... fact... Home bargins... £1 shop... Brilliant choice... Give me Leeds or Manchester anytime...

well, having lived here for a year, it's pretty clear that there is a reason why you are getting a peacocks and not a harvey nicks - people are only interested in cheap when they are shopping in sheffield.

just look at this forum - every post asking about where to get something, from headphones to food, rarely fails to ask for it to get something 'cheap' as opposed to where can i get the 'best' of something.

when first casting my eye around sheffield, i though about how nice it would be to open a deli / cafe type shop, selling local cheese, local products and bits and pieces. however, i have abandoned the idea completely - it wouldn't work in most of the suburbs i have looked at.

cheap cheap cheap.

will be glad when they finish work on moor it like a building site not shopping centre

The boutiques etc are all up Division St, West St, etc.

There cant be upmarket shops and boutiques on every street and corner....go look for them, they are definitely there!

As for the discount stores, why the hell shouldn't people get things cheaper?

I went into Poundland the other day to stock up on my radox shower gels and Charles Worthington conditioners, etc. Rather pay a quid than 2, 3 or 4 quid in Boots or Superdrug.

I dont know what perfect little corner of the country you arrived here from a year ago, but if Sheffield is so trashy and downtrodden, then Im sure your little piece of heaven must be missing you.

The boutiques etc are all up Division St, West St, etc.

There cant be upmarket shops and boutiques on every street and corner....go look for them, they are definitely there!

As for the discount stores, why the hell shouldn't people get things cheaper?

I went into Poundland the other day to stock up on my radox shower gels and Charles Worthington conditioners, etc. Rather pay a quid than 2, 3 or 4 quid in Boots or Superdrug.

I dont know what perfect little corner of the country you arrived here from a year ago, but if Sheffield is so trashy and downtrodden, then Im sure your little piece of heaven must be missing you.

you know what, half the time i think maybe i should - this city hasn't been as welcoming as it is often advertised. BUT:

your defensiveness pleases me - a bit if civic pride is what this place needs. like i said, i think it's a great city, just with a bit of a negative attitude at times. anyway... feel free to slate the outsider for saying the same thing as plenty of sheffielders, only with a bit more evidence than the usual 'the moor is crap'

as for the rest of your post, before your attack, i have already agreed with you, by and large. however, divi street is hardly camden town is it? mostly bars, with a couple of independent t-shirt shops. nice and all.

When Meadowhall opened, initially, some City Centre stores did suffer a little.

Then, there was the nightmare of the installation of the Supertram for the City Centre trade to deal with.

Yes, we are behind times compared to places such as London and Manchester, but what can we do?

Theres no point slating Sheffield, and us locals........(only defending the place, moke), just because theres an abundance of discount stores.

Stores that can be found Nationwide.

When Meadowhall opened, initially, some City Centre stores did suffer a little.

Then, there was the nightmare of the installation of the Supertram for the City Centre trade to deal with.

Yes, we are behind times compared to places such as London and Manchester, but what can we do?

Theres no point slating Sheffield, and us locals........(only defending the place, moke), just because theres an abundance of discount stores.

Stores that can be found Nationwide.

i wasn't slating the place, only responding to the never ending criticism that the moor receives by stating the reasons why it is the way that it is. people go to the moor, and to the city centre in general with the intention of bagging a bargain.

i agree with all your points - meadowhall has clearly had a negative effect on the city centre as a place to shop, which is a shame.

still think it's a shame that you would chose to immediately tell someone to 'go back to where they come from' the moment they rile you, ultimately when they have actually said the same thing as you have!

so to bring it back to the start - what were people expecting, a posh store opening in the city area where only the discount shops and chain stores thrive? you get what you ultimately want.

i wasn't slating the place, only responding to the never ending criticism that the moor receives by stating the reasons why it is the way that it is. people go to the moor, and to the city centre in general with the intention of bagging a bargain.

i agree with all your points - meadowhall has clearly had a negative effect on the city centre as a place to shop, which is a shame.

still think it's a shame that you would chose to immediately tell someone to 'go back to where they come from' the moment they rile you, ultimately when they have actually said the same thing as you have!

so to bring it back to the start - what were people expecting, a posh store opening in the city area where only the discount shops and chain stores thrive? you get what you ultimately want.

How many people do you know who think "nice product but I'd really like to pay more for it"? :rolleyes:

You appear to be confusing "cheap" with "good value". Please tell us what retail paradise you came from so we can stick the boot into your hometown.

Archived