Old Woolworths on The Moor

sheff utd

I'm a born & bred Sheffielder who wholly agrees with moke. I lived away for a few years and was really dismayed when I returned to see the Moor and Peace Gardens reduced to tackiness.

The Moor was once a good place, the decent shops ran all the way from Cumberland Street to High Street and down to the markets making it the actual city centre, not everyone wanted to shop "cheaply" so they didn't go down as far as the markets.

What seems to have happened now is that all the shoddiness is from Cumberland Street all the way up, it's a most undesirable place to be.

In my opinion, where you have the cheap i.e. pound shops you attract the undesirables of any town/city.

I think moke has a valid point, there's no pride left in this city anymore, most people want something for nothing or as little as possible.

How many people do you know who think "nice product but I'd really like to pay more for it"? :rolleyes:

You appear to be confusing "cheap" with "good value". Please tell us what retail paradise you came from so we can stick the boot into your hometown.

I don't think this is the case at all. Nobody said anything about paying more for the same product. It's a lack of choice that's the problem. There are people willing to pay more to get better quality product but that choice is limited in Sheffield at the moment.

How many people do you know who think "nice product but I'd really like to pay more for it"? :rolleyes:

You appear to be confusing "cheap" with "good value". Please tell us what retail paradise you came from so we can stick the boot into your hometown.

you are deliberately misinterpreting the nature of my point, when it comes to 'premium retail'.

the choice isnt between the same thing, at full price and at discount price. it is between a well crafted item, at a cost that reflects its worth, or an item that is similar in feel, but probably of lower quality, and sold at a cost that reflects that.

no-one wants to pay over the odds. but if you were looking for a 'once in a lifetime' gift for a friend or partner, or hunting for a perfect outfit to wear at a really special occasion, or indeed, wanted a lump of cheese made in south yorkshire by people who really cared for their product - you wound struggle a bit.

to keep having a personal crack makes your argument mean less to me. i have developed a lot of affection for this city, and i am on its side, despite having had some pretty crap experiences over the last year.

search the thread when an american lass asked for peoples thoughts on Sheffield if you want to know my thoughts on the city.

well, having lived here for a year, it's pretty clear that there is a reason why you are getting a peacocks and not a harvey nicks - people are only interested in cheap when they are shopping in sheffield.

just look at this forum - every post asking about where to get something, from headphones to food, rarely fails to ask for it to get something 'cheap' as opposed to where can i get the 'best' of something.

when first casting my eye around sheffield, i though about how nice it would be to open a deli / cafe type shop, selling local cheese, local products and bits and pieces. however, i have abandoned the idea completely - it wouldn't work in most of the suburbs i have looked at.

cheap cheap cheap.

You don't have the caliber to successfully enter into such a venture and make a success of it if thats what you think because you've not looked around very hard!

well, having lived here for a year, it's pretty clear that there is a reason why you are getting a peacocks and not a harvey nicks - people are only interested in cheap when they are shopping in sheffield.

just look at this forum - every post asking about where to get something, from headphones to food, rarely fails to ask for it to get something 'cheap' as opposed to where can i get the 'best' of something.

when first casting my eye around sheffield, i though about how nice it would be to open a deli / cafe type shop, selling local cheese, local products and bits and pieces. however, i have abandoned the idea completely - it wouldn't work in most of the suburbs i have looked at.

cheap cheap cheap.

Of course it wouldn't work, some of the estates in Sheffield (just like the rest of England) like chip and kebab shops, Macdonalds and fast food places - they arn't educated or refined on taste and quality so it would be pointless in pretending that they could be.

I was in London over the weekend and we took a short walk from where my friend lives,in St Johns Wood, and found around 3 deli's on one junction! Breads, olives, tea's, meats, cheeses etc...it was great.

The Thai/Japanese supermarkets were well stocked also as was the wonderful Portobello market.

I thought 'I wish we had the abundance of shops like this in Sheffield' but in reality, we are a small city and one which is made up of majority of working class people who are on low incomes.

Without offending: I suspect from reading online that half of Sheffield are uneducated to foods and flavours and see processed food as being cheaper than the natural foods so there you have it.

You don't have the caliber to successfully enter into such a venture and make a success of it if thats what you think because you've not looked around very hard!

I agree with this also, but again if Moke is looking at the city as a whole and not areas like Ecclesall Rd and Hunters bar - where a deli would do really well (provided it's stocked well and reasonable priced) then he's spent a lot of time looking at nothing.

Sheffield, IMO is a city which is working class, yes it has has great benefits, one being the peaks nearby, the other being small. However, if you like the finer side to things, you can get it here if you look properly, and if not then you grab supplies from other cities when you visit.

you cant slate the moor in one breath and then get all arsey when someone 'tells it like it is'.

But you are talking about the Moor in one breath then pulling down the rest of the suburbs in another so I will also agree with your views pertaining to the Moor and disagree with your thoughts on the demand for said business venture and your insinuation that there would not be any.

. i find the impotent rage it attracts quite funny really.

Thats classed as sneering, perhaps snobish. It's not an objective thing to say... Think about it!

you are deliberately misinterpreting the nature of my point, when it comes to 'premium retail'.

the choice isnt between the same thing, at full price and at discount price. it is between a well crafted item, at a cost that reflects its worth, or an item that is similar in feel, but probably of lower quality, and sold at a cost that reflects that.

no-one wants to pay over the odds. but if you were looking for a 'once in a lifetime' gift for a friend or partner, or hunting for a perfect outfit to wear at a really special occasion, or indeed, wanted a lump of cheese made in south yorkshire by people who really cared for their product - you wound struggle a bit.

to keep having a personal crack makes your argument mean less to me. i have developed a lot of affection for this city, and i am on its side, despite having had some pretty crap experiences over the last year.

search the thread when an american lass asked for peoples thoughts on Sheffield if you want to know my thoughts on the city.

im gonna guess you never took a walk down Ecclesall Road then

http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Eccleshall_Road_Sheffield__6674490

Archived