Old Woolworths on The Moor

sheff utd

The Moor is right old mess now (was down there at the weekend and it looks terrible at the bottom) - but isn't that at least partly down to the Sevenstone development stopping - I assumed that if it were ever to have been completed, it would've had some of the outlets these refined types are looking for...? Wouldn't have thought the devleopers would've wanted wall to wall poundland-style shops in it!

Having good quality (at premium prices) and good value (not necessarily just cheapo) shops can be achieved in Sheffield, but Eccy Road would seem a more sensible location for those with money to burn on luxury goods really, and failing that, Meadowhall...

The Moor is right old mess now (was down there at the weekend and it looks terrible at the bottom) - but isn't that at least partly down to the Sevenstone development stopping - I assumed that if it were ever to have been completed, it would've had some of the outlets these refined types are looking for...? Wouldn't have thought the devleopers would've wanted wall to wall poundland-style shops in it!

Having good quality (at premium prices) and good value (not necessarily just cheapo) shops can be achieved in Sheffield, but Eccy Road would seem a more sensible location for those with money to burn on luxury goods really, and failing that, Meadowhall...

The area around St Paul's Place would make a good area for some upmarket shops as well. All the council need to do is route a pedestrian area over Arundel Gate through the area and it will increase footfall.

I agree with Duckweed. So many of this city's residents as well as it's planners (who probably aren't even from Sheffield) think that if it doesn't look like Leeds or Manchester then it's no good. Why do we need more crappy 'luxury appartments' in rubbishy designed blocks?

Whilst Leeds and Manchester have their place; much of their revival is based on the massive growth in the financial and creative professions which have boomed over the last 30 years. However as the credit crunch has shown, as fast as these professions have grown, they die just as quick.

Perhaps we should start thinking that a city centre should have more to offer than shops and that the centre of people's existence shouldn't just be retail therapy.

How many people do you know who think "nice product but I'd really like to pay more for it"? :rolleyes:

I can't put my finger on it at the moment, but research has shown that in some circumstances the same product will sell more at a higher price as it's perceived value increases more than the price. It's not a conscious decision to pay more, but people do do it.

Quick example - you see a car for sale for £5,000 when you expect it to be £6,000. Chances are some buyers will dismiss it as 'too cheap'. Price the same car at £5750 and people will think they are getting a bargain.

The Moor is a litter strewn <removed>, which is down to the scum who drop litter, fag-ends and old food trays etc and make the place a tip.

Complete lack of personal responsibility, decency and respect for others who use the same areas and environments.

May be a bit of stereotyping to say it is the type of shopping that attracts some of these people, maybe that started when they allowed a market to become established on there. I daresay there a great many decent people using this area and its shops, but I would also imagine there are a fair number of bone-idle dole bludgers there.

Born here, lived here for most of my life, worked all over the world and always happy to come back here.

I <removed> hate litter.

I can't put my finger on it at the moment, but research has shown that in some circumstances the same product will sell more at a higher price as it's perceived value increases more than the price. It's not a conscious decision to pay more, but people do do it.

Quick example - you see a car for sale for £5,000 when you expect it to be £6,000. Chances are some buyers will dismiss it as 'too cheap'. Price the same car at £5750 and people will think they are getting a bargain.

I kind of see your point. I've been to farmers markets where you buy a lump of local cheese for a fiver because it's well packaged, is labelled organic and sold to you by a pretty girl in a milkmaid costume. It's only when you go in a supermarket a few days later and find a similar cheese on sale for half the price that you realise you've fallen for it.

So maybe Moke was right, just a shame he came on here with such a condescending attitude.

Very true! And some people will also buy something because it's "reduced" and therefore a "bargain", despite the fact that they could actually find the same item, non-reduced, at a cheaper price elsewhere!

I'm an inveterate bargain hunter, when I worked and needed smart clothes, I don't think I ever bought anything full price, it was always in the sales (or from charity shops). But I made sure they were genuine reductions - not bought in especially for the sales, and of decent quality.

Some of the stuff in pound shops is absolute tat, but you can say the same about items in "good" shops, too.

I've had some real bargains from Poundland - like a card reader for my laptop, which would have cost me a lot more elsewhere. It works fine, so why would I want to pay three or four times as much to buy it elsewhere? And a case for my camera - when I looked in the shops at Meadowhell, they wanted anything from £6 upwards, which is why it ended up living in a leather cigarette packet case (free from a friend) for a good few years!!

Archived