Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

I'm after any and all information about the meals people used to eat.

I'd like to find out what meals people traditionally ate in Sheffield during the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

Preferably any locally sourced or very popular meals at any time,

Also any ingredients that were used and cooking methods if possible?

Thanks.

arctic roll was a real treat for me and my brohers in the 70's. i also remember thinking that a vista curry was VERY exotic.. my dad ate loads of pigs trotters and tripe.Looking back now it seems that the little treats that are commonplace now like desserts and fish suppers etc were a very rare treat.

Always will remember Monday's main meal. The remains if the the Sunday joint with bubble and squeak and pickled beetroot/cucumber/whatever (chopped apple and onion in vinegar was nice)

Monday was 'washing day' and food was a low priority.

Cold roast beef and pork were OK but cold roast lamb, or mutton as it was in those days,.........:gag:

Friday tea-time was always fish and chips with mushy peas. Chips and fishcakes were thruppence and a nice chunk of crispy cod was a tanner.

Me grandad used to cook cheese and onion done in the frying pan. softened onion cooked in butter and a little water, or alot if you want alot of juice then lob in your cheese (about 2lb) let it melt and serve on thick bread and butter. Brisket done in the oven for about 10 hrs with loadsa veg and relish same goes for neck and breast of lamb (best gravy ever!!!!!!)

Liam

1930s, forties fifties. i think the war altered this but she went back to the same meals after.

My Mom used to put Cow heel in stew.

Pigs trotters were a rare treat and haslet and udder were also on the menu.

My exhusbands Mother used to cook a head off an animal not sure which one though.

Must say though I never touched any of it.

The haslet wasn't to bad.

hazel

Archived