Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

Most of the meals mentioned we still eat in 2010 ash as a few more different vegetables in ie. carrots.turnips,celery,leek.potatoes,onions and stewing meat stew is mostly meat,carrots and onions. Beast heart is another meat which used to be very popular the only thing we don't eat now is rabbit but what you cannot get in Sheffield you can in Barnsley market. Rationing was on until 1954 so it was what was available not only what you could afford which had to be taken into consideration in those times.

I'm pretty sure I'd never heard the word "hash" in Sheffield late 40s to 60s but I could be wrong(first time this year) I think I may have heard it on a Roy Rogers cowboy movie:P:P:P

Maybe you came from the wrong part of Sheffield :P. My mam made 'ash for us during the 40s 50s 60s and 70s.

Most of the meals mentioned we still eat in 2010 ash as a few more different vegetables in ie. carrots.turnips,celery,leek.potatoes,onions and stewing meat stew is mostly meat,carrots and onions. Beast heart is another meat which used to be very popular the only thing we don't eat now is rabbit but what you cannot get in Sheffield you can in Barnsley market. Rationing was on until 1954 so it was what was available not only what you could afford which had to be taken into consideration in those times.

I do believe your explanation of the difference between Ash and Stew is correct.

Not sure about all the above PT. But, Viking offers a recipe for "stew/ash" here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30401

I don't remember whether the "ash" we had (and it could have been hash without the "h" had spuds in it or not, but stew and ash were one and the same to us as kids. We never liked it, but what kids do like stews?

Aww bless him. RIP, Vviking.

I saw rabbit on offer only a few days ago in the Castle market meat hall.

Archived