Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

Now isn't this thread better than those stupid chat clubs that keep popping up here we can get right to th meat & tater's of thinks :hihi::rant::hihi::rant:

I know what you're talking about and you were doing so well, then you have to go and spoil it.

90's - TRIPE with salt and vinegar from castle market! mmmmm I might just call in on monday now

My mum used to make something called Blind Ash.its was cubed honeycombe tripe, simmered in milk with onions and cubed potatoes. Bit of fresh parsley sprinkled on top before serving. Delicious !!

Mum was born in 1916 she told me when she was young Yorkshire pudding was served with gravy before the meal to fill you up so you wouldn't want so much meat. Mum gave us lovely dinners our yorks puds had flavours such as sage and onion. Mum would cook a tongue and dad would put in a press.Mum also made Yorkshire Parkin [like ginger cake] she made her own fish cakes with a slice of potato in the middle

I live in London and whats left of the yorkshire puddings they have it with jam on. I think we only have pie mash in London,but in the fish and chip shops you don't get peas here or scraps

Mum was born in 1916 she told me when she was young Yorkshire pudding was served with gravy before the meal to fill you up so you wouldn't want so much meat. Mum gave us lovely dinners our yorks puds had flavours such as sage and onion. Mum would cook a tongue and dad would put in a press.Mum also made Yorkshire Parkin [like ginger cake] she made her own fish cakes with a slice of potato in the middle

I live in London and whats left of the yorkshire puddings they have it with jam on. I think we only have pie mash in London,but in the fish and chip shops you don't get peas here or scraps

Yes, I can remember my gran serving Yorkshire pudding first to fill everyone up.

We used to call sage and oinion yorkshires "mucky puddings". I still make Yorkshire parkin on Bonfire night cos I remember eating it on Bonfire night when I was a child... I don't think it was potato in the middle of the fish cakes; it was fish in the middle of two slices of potato wasn't it?

Yes, I can remember my gran serving Yorkshire pudding first to fill everyone up.

My gran used to put the joint straight onto the top oven shelf and let the juices drip into a tray underneath. Then she'd put the Yorkshire pudding batter into the tray. She also served the Yorkshire pudding first. :love:

Archived