Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

We used to call sage and oinion yorkshires "mucky puddings". I still make Yorkshire parkin on Bonfire night cos I remember eating it on Bonfire night when I was a child... I don't think it was potato in the middle of the fish cakes; it was fish in the middle of two slices of potato wasn't it?

I love fishcakes, and yes, it is fish in the middle of two slices of potato. I could eat one right now !!:rolleyes:

I love fishcakes, and yes, it is fish in the middle of two slices of potato. I could eat one right now !!:rolleyes:

As far as I know they are still available in Skegness a well as Sheffield,some places call them Yorkshire fishcakes others Sheffield fishcakes. My nan used to serve the Yorkie's first before Sunday dinner sage and onion ones were for special occasions like birthdays,Easter,Whitsun etc.

As a 70's child I remember eating things that I haven't eaten for years now.

Teas were often:

Potted meat sandwiches - it wasn't a kids tea party without them.

Birds Eye fish fingers. Later on this was Crispy pancakes which remained a staple part of my culinary expertise for many years!

Vesta Chop suey and chow mein. I liked the crispy noodles! At a friend's house we'd have Chicken Supreme but never at home.

Knorr Chicken noodle soup from the packet.

Finny Haddock.

Saltfish which we used to buy in Wales(the Welsh one) and bring back.

Meat and potato pie with Mushy peas from the packet.

We drank mellow birds and ate nimble bread as my mum was convinced this would make her slim. I also remember lots of rivita! And the tiny, tiny Hovis loaves which i really wish you could still get as they were so cute! I'd have little tea parties with them!

I can remember the pop man Alpine who would come round and we'd take the bottles back so there was always cream soda or dandelion and burdock or something with e numbers in.

Desserts were often:

Jelly

Angel delight

Lemon meringue pie

Scrumped blackberries in the autumn or strawberries in the summer covered in dream topping or Carnation milk

"Lovely" Moussee. My mum and gran wouldn't buy these but I used to go to a friends for tea each week before Brownies and her mum would always give us one of these.

And the Fletchers vans for the Rum Babas and the Elephants feet.

We always used to have our Yorkshires first and we'd have them with Golden syrup for dessert, it's just pancake mix really so it's not that daft!

I also remember the 'Birds eye potato waffles, are waffley versatile' advert and they became again a staple part of my diet for many years into my twenties!

Patti you know that is soooooooooooooooooo unfair what with me being stuck in a Sheffield fishcakeless southern jessie town. Please can anyone tell me if the chippy on Langsett Road (I think it's near Morrisons) sells proper fishcakes?

My Mom mmade our Sunday dinner on a Saturday instead. Yorkshire pud, Roast Lamb or beef, sprouts or dark cabbage. Sunday morning bacon, and eggs. The rest of the week, whatever she could afford. We had finnan haddock, meat and potato pie, shepherd's pie, fish and chips.

WW11 made a big difference in our eating. We ate stuff that grew in England mostly, sometimes without rationing, bread for instance or rabbits, but beef was heavily rationed, fresh eggs non existent though you could get dried eggs, most fruit was also dried, very little sugar, cheese, no bananas. We were introduced to Spam during the war, could get plenty of it, and did so. I still love it to this day. From generous American soldiers we got thr first instant coffee we had ever seen.

We used to have Yorkshire pudding with gravy as a starter, But we also had what we called Season Pudding which was Yorkshire pudding mix with sage and diced onion, it didn't rise it went stodgy but ooooo it were nice. We still have it when we visit my sister in woodhouse. JP

Mmmmm can taste it now. We called it mucky pudding tho:hihi:

Patti you know that is soooooooooooooooooo unfair what with me being stuck in a Sheffield fishcakeless southern jessie town. Please can anyone tell me if the chippy on Langsett Road (I think it's near Morrisons) sells proper fishcakes?

Sure somebody on here said that an exiled Sheffielder runs a chippy somewhere darn sarf and sells proper fishcakes.

Can you tell us some old fashioned American dishes ?

Grits have another name, sometimes the dish is called cream of wheat. Grits/cream of wheat is much finer than porridge, if you follow the instructions on the packet you can then fry the result and then it blends better with bacon and eggs.

Archived