Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

Texas, I hadn't realized they were fried cream of wheat. Maybe it's an acquired taste. What I did enjoy when I visited your part of the world, San Antonio, some years ago were the steaks, which I found to have a different flavor from the ones this side of the border. Delicious.

Back to the Sheffield dishes of years gone by, I used to enjoy those traditional desserts, sweets, like sponge and custard, treacle tart, etc. Last time I was over I noticed that in many pubs and restaurants, North American type desserts had taken over. Cheesecake? I can eat that here. But an egg custard - that wasn't easy to find.

There seems to be a lot of interest in Yorkshire puds and why not? This recipe works for me:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/yorkshire-pudding.html

My great aunt used to spend most of Sunday morning making plain and seasoned puds.Various family members used to call in all morning for a slice of pudding and a cup of tea or limeade for us kids.Then there would be more pud as a starter for dinner and after dinner she'd make more for my uncle Sos to take for his snap at work on Monday.Some with jam on and some with cold meat from the joint.The seasoned pud was just ordinary pud with some dried sage and onion sprinkled in the batter.It was plain with beef and lamb and seasoned with pork.They never had chicken, it was far too dear.Unless one of the nephews at Mayfield valley had killed one of their chickens that week.

The smell of roast lamb takes me instantly back to her kitchen on a Sunday morning in the 60's!

Hi all

Ash or Hash dont matter how u spell it has tates in it, stew dont

Defo full plate size yorkie with gravy before main meal lovely

Also nice as a desert liked treacle on mine as well as jam( no not at the same time)

Rabbit not sold in supermarkets but still available at proper butchers

loved honeycomb so did my kids until they knew what it was LOL

The little baby heads were staek and kideny puddings, pastry was suet now those you can get at supermarkets

Texas, I hadn't realized they were fried cream of wheat. Maybe it's an acquired taste. What I did enjoy when I visited your part of the world, San Antonio, some years ago were the steaks, which I found to have a different flavor from the ones this side of the border. Delicious.

Back to the Sheffield dishes of years gone by, I used to enjoy those traditional desserts, sweets, like sponge and custard, treacle tart, etc. Last time I was over I noticed that in many pubs and restaurants, North American type desserts had taken over. Cheesecake? I can eat that here. But an egg custard - that wasn't easy to find.

There seems to be a lot of interest in Yorkshire puds and why not? This recipe works for me:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/yorkshire-pudding.html

My Grans egg custard was another highlight of childhood! Although she passed on the recipe no one could ever get the right balance between crispy pastry and the "set" of the custard.I can't believe I'm saying this but the nearest I've had to hers in taste if not texture,is Greggs! Sorry Nan!

She also made a dessert that she called "pasty" which was a pastry tart with a mixture of jam,mincemeat and coconut filling with spirals of pastry over the top.

She also used to put her veg for dinner on to boil at about 9 in the morning!

My Grans egg custard was another highlight of childhood! Although she passed on the recipe no one could ever get the right balance between crispy pastry and the "set" of the custard.I can't believe I'm saying this but the nearest I've had to hers in taste if not texture,is Greggs! Sorry Nan!

Shane

Try blind baking the pastry first with greasproof paper on inside. Then put custard in.

Best with nutmeg on top MMMMMMMMMMM

Shane

Try blind baking the pastry first with greasproof paper on inside. Then put custard in.

Best with nutmeg on top MMMMMMMMMMM

She never did that but various people have tried it both blind baked and her way.We just accept now that we will never taste anything the same again!Some things just have to be left in the past! She used to say it must be her oven,some would say cauldron! Oh,and one of the things I liked most about it was that she didn't put nutmeg on it.

She never did that but various people have tried it both blind baked and her way.We just accept now that we will never taste anything the same again!Some things just have to be left in the past! She used to say it must be her oven,some would say cauldron! Oh,and one of the things I liked most about it was that she didn't put nutmeg on it.

It's a fact Shane that in the first half of the last century and before that in Victorian times, people used to cook in the range ovens which were adjacent to and heated by their coal fires. Certainly my grandma did up to the 1930's. Maybe that's part of the secret in how food tasted. I'm sure it played a big part.

Today, a few folks swear by Aga stoves but not many are coal fired.

Sure somebody on here said that an exiled Sheffielder runs a chippy somewhere darn sarf and sells proper fishcakes.

Dahn sarf is a big place. If anyone can tell me where the exiled Sheffielder with the chippy lives I would be extremely grateful. :)

It's a fact Shane that in the first half of the last century and before that in Victorian times, people used to cook in the range ovens which were adjacent to and heated by their coal fires. Certainly my grandma did up to the 1930's. Maybe that's part of the secret in how food tasted. I'm sure it played a big part.

Today, a few folks swear by Aga stoves but not many are coal fired.

My mother still used hers well into the late 50s.

Dahn sarf is a big place. If anyone can tell me where the exiled Sheffielder with the chippy lives I would be extremely grateful. :)

There used to be a chip shop just around the corner from Cristal Palace football ground that did real fish cakes, the owner was from Rotherham.

There is another that makes them in Wroxham on the Broads,he is from Walkley.In (I know its not dahn sarf) Workington they have a variation of them,instead of fish its corned beaf they are nice.

My mother used to make egg custards with goose eggs,you did'nt need many of those.A freind of mine used to boil a goose egg for 15 minutes and eat it with half a loaf of Fletchers bread for breakfast,he was and still is about 8 stone soaking wet.

Archived