Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

Seasoned pudding (yorkshire pudding with herbs and chopped onion)not the fluffy things that are made in bun cases, proper yorkshire made in a big pan.

Ooh real Yorkshires, I pride myself that I can still make them. My Mams were so huge that we had it as a starter with onion gravy , a piece with dinner and for pudding with jam or treacle.

Bed time now, it's been good reminiscing with you, goodnight skippy.

We used to have meat pressed into a bowl but the weight on top was the flat iron---- the one that went on the fire to heat it up.

Grandma used to give my Dad, to tide him on till he got home, a yorkshire pudding sandwich.

Two squares of pud with a slice of beef in.

hazel

My Mom used to put Cow heel in stew.

Pigs trotters were a rare treat and haslet and udder were also on the menu.

My exhusbands Mother used to cook a head off an animal not sure which one though. <snip>

The head your mother in law used to cook was probably a sheeps head. My mother used to do it in a large tureen with loads of root veg, we had it in a basin with bread to soak up the gravy, the brains were delicious, I'm getting hungry now. We also had udder, lovely creamy taste, well it would be, wouldn't it:?: Stuffed sheeps hearts they were good too, cooked in the oven in a roasting tin the hearts were covered in home made sage and onion stuffing.

the head might have been a "Pig's Chap". My father loves a roasted chap.

( :gag: ) Personally, I thought it looked totally vile laying there in the roasting tin, staring up at you, grinning. (:gag: ).

Remembering my own childhood from the 60's and 70s, the home-cooked food my mother prepared was quite basic, not at all spicy or exotic. We had meat and potato pie, Stews and dumplings, always fish-on-a-Friday (!). We had things like lamb-chops, or pork chops, too.

Bacon, sausage, eggs, and tomatoes (or beans) and fried bread, sometimes served with mushrooms, was a "must" for Sunday breakfast. Poppa insisted! :D

My father out-and-out refused to eat "that foreign muck!", like spaghetti bolognese, or chilli, pizza, etc.

He was only persuaded to eat curry because he'd had curry in a carton with his chips from the chip-shop. Even so, to this day, he won't eat "ordinary" curries, it has to be the chinese chip shop type sauce.

We used to have meat pressed into a bowl but the weight on top was the flat iron---- the one that went on the fire to heat it up.

Grandma used to give my Dad, to tide him on till he got home, a yorkshire pudding sandwich.

Two squares of pud with a slice of beef in.

hazel

That sounds like brawn to me and I think it was made out of brains or something like that.It was great laid on top of new potatoes and let it melt.I also liked the potato cakes my mother made.OOHH mouth watering time

Vesta chicken curry, what a treat:)

Most things we had looked the same, my mother cooked everything to death

conger eel cooked in milk served with mashed potato. Rabbit stew, the most gorgeous gravy. Bubble and squeak. Fry ups, all cooked in an inch of fat.

Eggs and cheese cooked in the oven, basically a pyrex lid with an egg in the middle surrounded by grated cheese and baked, cant have had that for about forty years.

the head might have been a "Pig's Chap". My father loves a roasted chap.

( :gag: ) Personally, I thought it looked totally vile laying there in the roasting tin, staring up at you, grinning. (:gag: )..

Pigs Chap wasn't the whole head, it was the pigs cheek with the lower jaw attached. A sheeps head was just that a full head, we got it from Spencers at Firth Park. It was cut in half, from front to back, then tied back together. This was to prevent the brains from falling into the gravy.

Archived