Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

Pigs Chap wasn't the whole head, it was the pigs cheek with the lower jaw attached. A sheeps head was just that a full head, we got it from Spencers at Firth Park. It was cut in half, from front to back, then tied back together. This was to prevent the brains from falling into the gravy.

When my mother roasted a chap for my father, it was the whole of the half of the head:- (ears, sometimes, but definitely had the eyes included) the teeth used to make me feel sick, as the dratted thing used to lay there, grinning. :gag:

The half-head fitted, just-so, into one particular roasting tin.

I don't recall the brains of the pig being part of it, it was just the half-head.

I actually feel quite ill, relating that. The memories aren't pleasant.

I'm not at all sure how my mother managed, handling and preparing the pig-chap, to roast it for my dad. I presume there must have been some flesh on it, to eat, and not just been all "crackling". (though I think the amount of meat can't have been massive, as I believe that the one half face served just my father) I doubt there would have been as much flesh on the chap as on another favourite of my father's: belly pork.

When my mother roasted a chap for my father, it was the whole of the half of the head:- (ears, sometimes, but definitely had the eyes included) the teeth used to make me feel sick, as the dratted thing used to lay there, grinning. :gag:

The half-head fitted, just-so, into one particular roasting tin.

I don't recall the brains of the pig being part of it, it was just the half-head.

I actually feel quite ill, relating that. The memories aren't pleasant.

I'm not at all sure how my mother managed, handling and preparing the pig-chap, to roast it for my dad. I presume there must have been some flesh on it, to eat, and not just been all "crackling". (though I think the amount of meat can't have been massive, as I believe that the one half face served just my father) I doubt there would have been as much flesh on the chap as on another favourite of my father's: belly pork.

I've never seen pigs chap as you describe it. You don't know what you missed, there was quite a lot of meat on it and it was very tender and tasty too. Belly pork was one of my favourites too, still is as you can still buy it.

Do people still have dumplings ?

I've not had any for years.

Yes I'm having them on Sunday,making the stew tomorrow,leaving it overnight and adding dumplings Sunday,lovely fluffy one's not the heavy things they used to serve up for school dinners.

lots of rabbit if the poaching when well, use to fight over the head so u could pick the brains out ,head cheese was the boiled pigs head all mince up so the skin made a nice jell( pressed in a bowl)plus anything that had eyes and was cheap or free:cool::cool::cool:

Archived