Sheffield meals of days gone by

gregw

Same as the American Hash Browns, there disgusting. Ash is ash, and Hash is Hash. I am going to try and make some corned beef ash or is it Hash next week.

Wonder which ash or hash is under discussion? When I was growing up in Sheff., my relatives referred to stew as ash.

Then, of course there is hash as in hash browns, fried diced potatoes.

I like the latter, but never took as a kid to the former.

Wonder which ash or hash is under discussion? When I was growing up in Sheff., my relatives referred to stew as ash.

Then, of course there is hash as in hash browns, fried diced potatoes.

I like the latter, but never took as a kid to the former.

Yet the Yanks love Hash Browns with their breakfast dont they ?

Yet the Yanks love Hash Browns with their breakfast dont they ?

So do I, pattricia. Eggs, bacon, sliced tomato (raw not fried), sauteed mushrooms, hash browns and toast. Yummy.

You're not confusing hash browns with hominy grits are you? Hash browns are just diced, sauted potatoes. The grits which people eat in the southern US have a sloppier texture, a bit like porridge, eaten with the eggs and bacon. I wasn't all that keen on those.

So do I, pattricia. Eggs, bacon, sliced tomato (raw not fried), sauteed mushrooms, hash browns and toast. Yummy.

You're not confusing hash browns with hominy grits are you? Hash browns are just diced, sauted potatoes. The grits which people eat in the southern US have a sloppier texture, a bit like porridge, eaten with the eggs and bacon. I wasn't all that keen on those.

Can you tell us some old fashioned American dishes ?

Does anyone remember what my granddad called 'baby's heads' ? - individual sized steak and kidney puddings in a white basin with a string handle. The pastry was like a dumpling wrapped round the meat and gravy. My mother used to make a family sized one cooked in a huge iron pot over the open fire of the kitchen range - but they were never as nice as the little ones from the butcher's.

When did baked beans become a staple food for kids ? Don't think I tasted baked beans until I was about 15 and that was in a cafe. Can't remember having baked beans at home at all.

Does anyone remember what my granddad called 'baby's heads' ? - individual sized steak and kidney puddings in a white basin with a string handle. The pastry was like a dumpling wrapped round the meat and gravy. My mother used to make a family sized one cooked in a huge iron pot over the open fire of the kitchen range - but they were never as nice as the little ones from the butcher's.

When did baked beans become a staple food for kids ? Don't think I tasted baked beans until I was about 15 and that was in a cafe. Can't remember having baked beans at home at all.

Was the pastry Suet pastry ?

Can you tell us some old fashioned American dishes ?

As I'm in Canada I wouldn't be the best person to ask, pattricia. But a breakfast that the Americans put on that is number one would be blueberry pancakes spread with butter cream (really not sure what it's called but it's like a cross between butter and cream) and laced with maple syrup (OK that's Canadian, but they produce maple syrup in the US too). Side order of bacon. Struggle away from the table with enough calories for a couple of days. But, delicious.

Archived