The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

A little doggy told my dog that Icons has now changed over to be Equality bar but is it still gay or mixed? I've heard various stories and that the trans night is moving from icons back to Dempseys , can anyone enlighten me ?

Seemed to be the bar with no beer !

That was Affinity towards the end. Hope Icons isn't going the same way.

Post 1546, Icons has already gone that way.

Now called Equality, run by former staff I believe.

Unless some reasonable money is spent it will go the same way. Trying to attract the pink pound by calling it Equality, yet encourage Hetero's in the same way, in my opinion is unlikely to work. To quote...If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

Post 1546, Icons has already gone that way.

Now called Equality, run by former staff I believe.

Unless some reasonable money is spent it will go the same way. Trying to attract the pink pound by calling it Equality, yet encourage Hetero's in the same way, in my opinion is unlikely to work. To quote...If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

Being run by the (former/current/straight Bouncers), not sure it's a receipe for success, but time will tell.

Re: Equality there is one obvious flaw with their strategy, the Heteros wont go there thinking its gay, the Gays wont go there thinking its hetero , what will you end up with ? :help::roll:

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 13:41 ----------

Re: Equality there is one obvious flaw with their strategy, the Heteros wont go there thinking its gay, the Gays wont go there thinking its hetero , what will you end up with ? :help::roll:

Anyway I didnt mean to sound harsh with my last quote - I was just thinking thats the way the Cossack went all those years ago :(

I do wish Equality Bar great success and may it fare well - we need some competition to Dempseys , otherwise it turns out to be a very unhealthy one-sided gay scene !

Yeah, Equality Bar is still very much full of gay people in the evenings when I have been there and the new owners are nice enough, but they need to offer a good choice of music. On the midweek night I was there they were playing just 50's music from the internet on the DJ system, which was unexpected, although I suspect a lot of the people there at the time would have preferred a mix including 80's and up to date music. There's some great music popular with LGBTs from all decades; I do hope Equality Bar work hard on offering a good choiice of music, like Dempseys do.

It is a real shame about what happened to Fuel; here today and gone tomorrow, with an absolutely appalling business logic by totally ignoring local talent. :( If I get the money and/or business partners I would reopen it as a gay club with live rock music on weekends and gradually return it to a live music venue while opening a gay cabaret bar somewhere on West Street to encourage the development of a 'gay village' in a more central location...

Pubs/clubs gay or straight are struggling as people don't have the money to go out now you can have the best entertainment under the sun it will no difference Fuel closed simply down to the fact it was not viable. Dempsey's survives because it does meals during the day and a nightclub at night but as time goes on that might not be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyes fuels mistake was definitely not recognising local talent and having more cabarets on sad really ?!

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 21:34 ----------

There isn't anywhere to go anymore and not to mention the prices of drinks have gone up I think (I know they have in Dempsey's) but yet didn't bring them down with the VAT slash?

I went to Affinity also, but you never know what it's going to be like and like I have mentioned before you're always guaranteed a busy Dempsey's. The new Affinity for me is rubbish and I much preferred the old one and the old staff as I find the current staff very rude. The music isn't for me and the place just seems a place where you can relax, not go and have a dance etc.

Sanctuary is again open, but the location and set out is never going to make the place full a profit and is under new management again. It'll never work and the neglagence of the new owners showed that when I went there last weekend. They had 2 bouncers on and it's never busy with around a dozen people in and wasted money by not just putting one on. And apparently it's going straight.

Lions Lair is not for me as you all may have seen. The music is not for me, but I know it is great for other people. i can't justify paying £4 to go in that place and go to a place that's hygiene is worse than Dempsey's.

I have only been to Xes a couple of times and it's been ok, we all know why everyone goes and it's nothing I associate myself with, but it's a decent place, but it's quite a long time ago since I last went!

The place that is always busy is Dempsey's, but I'm kind of fed up of seeing the same old faces that I see all the time, as I'm sure they are sick of seeing me lol. Everyone says it's not value for money, but for me it is. You can pay your £3 and actually go in from 10pm-6am. The only problem I have is that they let a lot of people in that shouldn't be allowed and drinks prices aren't all that friendly.

Sheffield's scene isn't amazing, but there are a lot of worse off places than Sheffield. People can't justify paying £3/£4 twice a night, hence why they will stay in the same place all night long. there is no doubt it is suffereint also because of the long distance between the different places. There is need a gay quarter, but it's not going to happen I am affraid.

I just had to repeat this post from a a r o n in twenty ten since it is fascinating in that in his post he mentions the following gay venues:. lions lair, club xes, sanctuary, affinity and dempseys , what an amazing choice we had back then in gay venues only five years ago and we did not appreciate it, how sad that fast forward to the present day and we only have dempseys though fair play to dempseys still going strong, they must be doing some things right, and then we have equality which is sort me half gay I hear tho I have not yet been personally so I can't comment :-) I do hope the scene in sheffield gets back to being more diverse soon ?!