The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

Next Tuesday, 17th May is IDAHOBIT (International Day Against Homophobia etc).

Everybody is welcome to gather in the Union Street Pop Up Cafe beforehand, but the ceremony itself starts at a quarter to five in THE PEACE GARDENS. Bring whistles, flags, and all the normal colourful, noisy things!

4.45 on a weekday? Like the LGBT cafe, not convenient for most working people.

4.45 on a weekday? Like the LGBT cafe, not convenient for most working people.

Well quite right EarthBoy, unless its open on Saturday also , its sod all use to me during the week and I guess to most working people :-(

Regarding Dempseys being closed Saturday daytime I am gobsmacked ! If they are going to close daytimes do it during the week since again it wont bother working people too much, but not do it on Saturday also .... what is it with these venues cant they see how silly it is to alienate working people with money to spend and just open at times when unemployed people can go and at that only the ones with mega generous benefits :-(

It may be tho that Dempseys was closed cos of football tho I personally have never heard of anything untoward from Blades fans and in fact have seen a few in on match days as Dempseys location is handy if walking from town to Bramall Lane !

---------- Post added 11-05-2016 at 12:34 ----------

Regarding Pride I am soooo pleased that its back in endcliffe park again - a proper home for it ,lets hope for good weather , and I DO hope that my favourite alternative tent is up and running again where I can see fabulous off the wall poetry and musical drag acts and most importantly the one and only fabulous TYRANNA !!!

With regardeds to Dempsey's what are the plans for the site , I'm going back here when plans were first draw up for the Moor redevelopment the araa where the pub is was to be leveled and replaced with a square and a skyscraper and for many years Dempsey's future hung in the balance? If Dempsey's is going to be only open at night it will need take in serious money to stay in business .

Not a good sign what is Dempsey's like at night ?

In my experience, deserted. I have been on Friday and Saturday nights and been one of the five people in there.

I'm told by freinds there are busy times, but to me its too much of a risk going there especially since its middle of nowhere.

Glad we have OMG now. If its quiet in there you have the whole of West Street.

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the corner of Norfolk street and Charles street back in about 2005? It was on the 1st floor of the building. Run by a guy named Stuart I think

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 22:52 ----------

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the corner of Norfolk street and Charles Street around 2005 I think. It was on the 1st floor of the building. Run by a guy called Stuart I think.

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the corner of Norfolk street and Charles street back in about 2005? It was on the 1st floor of the building. Run by a guy named Stuart I think

---------- Post added 13-05-2016 at 22:52 ----------

Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the corner of Norfolk street and Charles Street around 2005 I think. It was on the 1st floor of the building. Run by a guy called Stuart I think.

Corner of Norfolk Street and Charles Street? That's where the post office is, near Howden House. The Roebuck's near there, as was the Yorkshire Grey until it was knocked down about ten years ago, -it was where the Cheesegrater carpark is now. Do you mean either of those bars?

Edited by EarthBoy