The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

The barman tells me that OMG just rent the premises. The landlord is selling up, but the business is not affected.

Unless the landlord wants to knock it down, develop it in to flats etc. It also lists current rent, which is very low for the area and size. They may be able to get a larger restaurant/bar operator to pay more. The sale is Freehold and makes no reference to being forced to keep current tenants.

I do hope what Jamesogt hints at is certainly not the case, as OMG is now a genuinely popular venue even if it can be very empty some days midweek, and we can ill afford to lose such as slick new gay venue such as this, in a prime location and offering more variety than Dempseys does, even if the drag cabaret seems to mostly hail from London and be remote from the local audiences. At least they're trying. But Sheffield's scene cannot properly thrive on two venues alone. It needs a diversity of LGBT run venues: cocktail bars, pubs popular for groups such as lesbians, 'bears', even a place that might hold a regular fetish night. All this and more existed less than 10 years ago; for example Xes, Cossack, Affinity, Planet, etc. Yes, we do still have the Bronx Sauna or whatever it is called out in Attercliffe, but the steep prices that saunas charge are beyond the pocket of so many of us who prefer a welcoming gay venue with free entry for at least part of the night and a modest entry charge later on to ensure a venue that works for us and knows our market. Look at how many venues there are in Manchester: If Sheffield had proportionately the same number of gay venues per population it would have around five or six, including bars/pubs, clubs, a showbar and maybe even a restaurant.

Maybe the two current LGBT venues and any forthcoming future venues which may open in Sheffield should get themselves listed as ACV's (Assets Of community Value) because they are catering for a unique and often vulnerable section of the community as well as engaging in events such as fundraisers for LGBT causes and also the Gay Pride.

Anyone else agree about ACV listing being a possible solution to reviving the scene?

But Sheffield's scene cannot properly thrive on two venues alone. It needs a diversity of LGBT run venues: cocktail bars, pubs popular for groups such as lesbians, 'bears', even a place that might hold a regular fetish night.

If Sheffield can't sustain the two full-time gay bars that we've got at the moment, where are the customers going to come from for any more?

All this and more existed less than 10 years ago; for example Xes, Cossack, Affinity, Planet, etc.

The Cossack has been demolished for over ten years now, and it was closed for longer than that. Affinity was good for a while, but it ultimately failed and closed. Xes and Planet were out at Attercliffe and they were very successful in their day, but who would want to go out to Attercliffe these days?

Yes, we do still have the Bronx Sauna or whatever it is called out in Attercliffe, but the steep prices that saunas charge are beyond the pocket of so many of us...

You can't class a sauna in the same category as a gay bar/club.

Look at how many venues there are in Manchester: If Sheffield had proportionately the same number of gay venues per population it would have around five or six, including bars/pubs, clubs, a showbar and maybe even a restaurant.

Manchester's gay scene wasn't created overnight, it built up gradually. If Sheffield is ever going to have a larger, more vibrant scene, it will also have to build up gradually. New venues won't open unless the existing ones are seen to be successful.

I do hope what Jamesogt hints at is certainly not the case, as OMG is now a genuinely popular venue even if it can be very empty some days midweek, and we can ill afford to lose such as slick new gay venue such as this, in a prime location and offering more variety than Dempseys does, even if the drag cabaret seems to mostly hail from London and be remote from the local audiences. At least they're trying. But Sheffield's scene cannot properly thrive on two venues alone. It needs a diversity of LGBT run venues: cocktail bars, pubs popular for groups such as lesbians, 'bears', even a place that might hold a regular fetish night. All this and more existed less than 10 years ago; for example Xes, Cossack, Affinity, Planet, etc. Yes, we do still have the Bronx Sauna or whatever it is called out in Attercliffe, but the steep prices that saunas charge are beyond the pocket of so many of us who prefer a welcoming gay venue with free entry for at least part of the night and a modest entry charge later on to ensure a venue that works for us and knows our market. Look at how many venues there are in Manchester: If Sheffield had proportionately the same number of gay venues per population it would have around five or six, including bars/pubs, clubs, a showbar and maybe even a restaurant.

Maybe the two current LGBT venues and any forthcoming future venues which may open in Sheffield should get themselves listed as ACV's (Assets Of community Value) because they are catering for a unique and often vulnerable section of the community as well as engaging in events such as fundraisers for LGBT causes and also the Gay Pride.

Anyone else agree about ACV listing being a possible solution to reviving the scene?

Your living in the past no one wants drag queens anymore , why should gay people be only restricted to gay pubs who over charge on drinks and give nothing in return? . The Cossack in the end was a dead duck Attercliffe had its day by the late 1990s time to move mate.

So I have an important question. I'm asked by my dog ... which is better for karaoke ... omg or Dempseys? On the plus side of OMG they always let you sing if you put a song up and they give you a free shot for singing on the plus side of Dempseys they have a wide song choice and they have karaoke on downstairs pretty much every weekday on the downside of Dempseys they don't give you anything for singing and you may not always get your song called out it depends on the DJ and on the downside of OMG the song choices is limited and the only do karaoke on a Thursday so what are other people's experiences good or bad ?

So I have an important question. I'm asked by my dog ... which is better for karaoke ... omg or Dempseys? On the plus side of OMG they always let you sing if you put a song up and they give you a free shot for singing on the plus side of Dempseys they have a wide song choice and they have karaoke on downstairs pretty much every weekday on the downside of Dempseys they don't give you anything for singing and you may not always get your song called out it depends on the DJ and on the downside of OMG the song choices is limited and the only do karaoke on a Thursday so what are other people's experiences good or bad ?

I recommend drinking in the other bar to the one you are "singing" in :D maybe get your dog to sing next time..... how about Puppy Love????

Whenever I'm in Dempseys everybody seems to get their song called, although if there are a lot of requests you might have to wait a while before you're called, to give everybody a fair chance. I've never known them ignore anybody, which seems to be what you're implying.

Whenever I'm in Dempseys everybody seems to get their song called, although if there are a lot of requests you might have to wait a while before you're called, to give everybody a fair chance. I've never known them ignore anybody, which seems to be what you're implying.

There may be a reason lol