The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

It was working 15 minutes ago, because I was reading it, but it seems to have gone down now. I don't know what the problem with it is.

It was a person page and not a fan page, FB probably pulled they are culling loads of inactive and incorrect listings.....

ICONS has changed its name to 'Equality' and is still gay-friendly, but I haven't been out on the scene except for Climax, so I don't know how its doing at present. I'll try and get out one night to see what's up, as Icons was always popular with LGBT's and when I was in there a couple of times after it changed management there seemed to be plenty of LGBT's there as well as others.

As yet there is absolutely no news of any new LGBT venues opening in town; lets hope the Scene will eventually pick up though.

A quick rundown of forthcoming events:

THIS Saturday, 18th April, there is a special event QUEER PRESENCE, 'a day of queer documentaries and a divine disco in the evening' at the Moor Theatre/Delicatessen in the former Woolworth's on The Moor, starts 12.30 in afternoon, until late at night.

On Monday 27th April, there will be a launch event for the latest Eden Films productions on bisexuality and the Scene Debate, at the Circle Building off Division Street, start 9am.

On the evening of Wednesday 29th April there is a LGBT Elections Question Time event being held at Sheffield University in association with Sheffield Pride.

Sunday 17 May, IDAHOT (International Day Against Homophobia/Transphobia) will take place in Peace Gardens from 12 noon; there will also be some associated events at the Millennium Galleries.

On Thursday 21st May, the annual LGBT Ball and Awards Ceremony will be held at City Hall, Tickets £45.

On Saturday 27th June, Pinknic will take place in Peace Gardens with light entertainment and stalls; admission free.

The following weekend, on Saturday 4th July, Sheffield Pride will take place at Sheffield University Students' Union; from what I have heard admission will be a lot cheaper than it was for the last two years at Devonshire Green and lots of things are being planned, so do check their Facebook page/website.

Yes Queer presence was good from what I heard and quite popular - shows the demand for these things. Me and my dog shall try and get along to the next events tho not sure if I would be allowed to take my dog to the ball

Good news on Sheffield Pride ! it sounds a lot more reasonably priced than last year and I do hope Tyranna you will be gracing us with your talents on the stage !:love::love:

• 2 weeks later...
the place is now called Club London 5254 and its very much empty, hardly any drinks. The gay people I know who used to go have now gone elsewhere.

Yeah, I recently passed the former Icons and noticed the name change; weird choice of name, but the number 5254 is actually the street address 52 to 54 West St. Would be nice to know if it IS still Gay-Friendly; maybe like when it used to be Takapuna, they will be happy to have a regular LGBT night with appropriate music...:love:

Yeah, I recently passed the former Icons and noticed the name change; weird choice of name, but the number 5254 is actually the street address 52 to 54 West St. Would be nice to know if it IS still Gay-Friendly; maybe like when it used to be Takapuna, they will be happy to have a regular LGBT night with appropriate music...:love:

Club London passed into history, not surprisingly, with Vertigo relocating there.

Just a quickie about a couple of real treats this week for the BBC Radio 4 listener among you:

BOOK AT BEDTIME this week and next is The Green Road by Anne Enright, about an Irish family between the 1980s and the present, set in Ireland, New York and elsewhere in the world; tonight's episode features Dan, the son who has given up his career as a clergyman, to help Aids sufferers in New York in 1991. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05stks0#auto

BOOK OF THE WEEK all this week features Anthony Sher's book Year of the Fat Knight featuring the gay actor's trials and tribulations, (along with his partner Graham) preparing for the most demanding Shakespeare role of all: Falstaff. See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05t609j

If you have missed any episodes of both books, you can catch up and listen to them online with the BBC radio 4 I-Player.

Thanks Tyranna I shall look those up !

Well on the increasingly bleak Sheffield gay scene there is at least one event in Sheffield next Sunday that is worth a plug - IDAHO

There is a useful link with some info on timings and events for it here:

https://ladiyfestsheffield.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/i-d-a-h-o-may-17th-sheffield/

Folks, you will need to CHECK the times and details of the Idahot event; the above link appears to refer to 2013! This year's IDAHOT will be today SUNDAY 17 May, and I believe it takes place at midday at Peace Gardens, so check if you can.

Soo ... anything special on gay wise for the bank holiday ? I daresay Dempseys will be packed :-)

Just been making an observation lately that with the absence of other gay venues, certain expensive straight bars in Sheffield have been recently getting very gay friendly/gay populated - is this a new trend ?

Is there some sort of divide here between well off gays going one place and not so well off gays another? If so thats a sad development :S

PS fingers crossed for the Irish gay marriage vote today ! I cant believe Ireland is really the first country in the world to vote on or have this?

Edited by Roger123W