The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

Just to correct a few phalluses on here ....

1) You don't have to be gay to get into Dempseys - in fact some nights especially the weekend there are more straights than gays , however it is a very safe place for people to be gay, bi, les, tran, TS or whatever other individuality you fancy !!

2) Yes members are free before nine but then so is everybody who goes in there - before nine there is no one on the door to check if you are a member or not or what your persuasion is :-)

3) Even for members, they have to pay £4 after the watershed time - Tyranna does this time vary if its Mon-Thur or Fri - sat - think its either 9 or 10 ? I always did think it a bit of a rum deal that even members had to pay so much but then I guess any other member clubs in Sheffield will charge at least this much if not more at the weekend :-(

4) You don't have to be gay or camp to go in the cage but it helps - you just have to be outrageously flexible, a good dancer and be able to squeeze in and out of the bars with litesome ease :-)

I hope this clears up some mysogenists about Dempseys ...

PS For anyone who cares to ask I have not mentioned my dog for ages , this is simply that he took a dog holiday or was that a cat nap , anyway he is now safely back in the land of the living and I have re-christened him Lazarus :-)

PS He is not eligible for Dempseys cage, no four-legged animals are allowed :mad:

Just to correct a few phalluses on here ....

Phalluses?!?!?! What's going through your mind? I think you mean fallacies.

3) Even for members, they have to pay £4 after the watershed time - Tyranna does this time vary if its Mon-Thur or Fri - sat - think its either 9 or 10 ?

It's free entry for members before 10.00 pm. I think they've reduced the entry fee (for members, at least) because the last few times I've been it only cost £2.50.

Phalluses?!?!?! What's going through your mind? I think you mean fallacies.

It's free entry for members before 10.00 pm. I think they've reduced the entry fee (for members, at least) because the last few times I've been it only cost £2.50.

Thanks; I think Roger was just trying to be deliberately ironic about 'phalluses' and 'mysogynists' lol.

For your information, a bit of news for those over 50 on the Scene:

RE: NEXT LGBT 50 Plus MEETING

The next meeting will take place as follows:-

Date: Tuesday 9th June 2015

Time: 6pm

Venue: Sir Benjamin Huntsman, Cambridge Street, Sheffield, S1 4HP

The Ben Huntsman is a very large pub, normally we will meet at a table near the front window, or somewhere else downstairs, so don't be afraid to ask around...

We hope you can make it and look forward to seeing you then.

Also, for those who are interested, this Thursday, June 4th, on CHANNEL 5 at 10pm, there is the documentary NO GOING BACK about the MTF gender transition of the boxing promoter Kellie Maloney. I would reccommend that anyone with the spare time watch this inspiring story.:love:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder: CLIMAX is on FRIDAY 26 JUNE, Blackpool Beach Theme. Following day is PINKNIC at the Peace Gardens, and that evening, from 7pm, is the PEACHES PARTY at the Moor Theatre Delicatessen. See:https://www.facebook.com/events/765936133504356/

Then, the next weekend, on Sat 4th July, its SHEFFIELD PRIDE (More info coming soon).

---------- Post added 30-06-2015 at 00:10 ----------

...All set for Sheffield Pride this Saturday, 4TH JULY at Sheffield University Students Union!

Entertainment starts 1.30 and there will be club events in the evening. There will be a FREE entry area on the .plaza outside and a small charge for entry to the Interval/Bar One indoor area and gardens.

FYI, there have been a LOT of rumors about a new LGBT venue arriving in Sheffield, but where and who is running it is not clear. Watch THIS space for more news as it happens!

Oh, and finally, for those heading down Chesterfield way, the next ICANDY is on THIS Wednesday 1st July, at Groove/Beach as usual.

---------- Post added 01-07-2015 at 19:55 ----------

Remember, I-Candy is on TONIGHT; also wanted to tell folks that if they tune into BBC Radio 4 this week they are in for a TREAT! The next instalment of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City, 'Significant Others' is being serialised twice a day all week! (10.45 am and 7.45pm)

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5V6yRg3VrCnJJhr8WTvtlCf/more-programmes for further details!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this thread up to date with a few current pertinent topics ...

1) My dog is very well but panting a lot in this heat !

2) Congrats to Dempseys for lowering their members entry fee from £4 to £2.50 , its very welcome in these austere times , since it was sometimes the deciding factor in a lot of minds between going or not going , and its £1.50 towards a bus or taxi home !

3) Having had a lovely Pink Picnic, Sheffield Pride is coming uup on Sat 4th July !

And I for one am looking forward to excellent entertainment , including Sheffield finest most international, most talented drag queen , the one and only Tyranna :love::love:

4) The rumours about the Church House pub being bought over and turned gay have currently come to naught !

5) Icons remains straight or has it closed I cant remember !

6) The very gay friendly Three Cranes re-opens its doors this coming weekend - I wonder if there will still be Karaoke and drag queen spots ? Tyranna is it worth a try :confused:

7) Something called "OMG" appears to be coming to Sheffield some sort of new gay nightclub or venue but they are being very coy on details at the moment , and its nowt to do with a certain sauna in Attercliffe, watch this space !

Finally have a happy Sheffield Pride everyone this Saturday - lets hope for sun but not sweltering and go knock em dead Tyranna !!:love::love:

Yeah, everyone (inclUding Roger's dog) knows about OMG; no clue as to where it will be, as I've had a good look around and drawn a blank on several rumored locations such as the former Fuel//Twixt and the Church House lol. They will announce the location of the new club very soon, so do watch this space.

In the meantime I must wish you a VERY HAPPY PRIDE. Pride starts at midday at the UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD STUDENTS UNION

(Taken from the Pride Facebook page:) Tickets are £3 for the day and evening activities, and £6 for the closing party – exact details of what's going on and the lineups will be shown here, and on the Sheffield Pride website (http://www.sheffieldpride.co.uk)

The free areas, including the candlelit vigil, are open to all ages with no restrictions. The rest of the day event is free for under 10s, and under 14s need to be accompanied by an adult. The evening event is 14+. The closing party is 18+. The outside free areas during the day are dog friendly, elsewhere is no dogs except guide dogs.

(End of quote)

Before I go, Just a VERY IMPORTANT notice regarding train/tram/bus access to Pride from the station, due to EDL demo and disruption of some tram services:

When leaving the rail station, leave by the FRONT entrance and turn RIGHT to cross the main road at the lights in the direction of the bus station, from where you can get buses to the University. If you continue further up to Fitzalan/Castle Square, you can get trams to the university as normal. Please DO NOT use the back entrance/exit from the rail station, as this exits onto South Street Park where the EDL rally will be. Also, the path parallel to the tram tracks from this entrance which normally leads to the town centre/Castle Square is BLOCKED by tram works; there is a diversion only via a steep path NOT SUITABLE FOR WHEELCHAIRS OR PRAMS.

When leaving Pride, especially if travelling home earlier than 6, return to the rail station by the same route, via the Bus Station and the crossing lights to the station next to Sheffield Tap pub.

Safe Journey and hope to see lots of you watching me perform in my opening slot at Pride on the Interval Stage at 1pm!

Very well organised Pride this year at the university !

It was great seeing Tyranna perform as the first act at 1pm on the Interval stage , you picked a great "Summer of Love" theme Tyranna !!

Thanks, Roger, much appreciated.

Also at Pride, I met the flyering crew promoting the new LGBT club OMG which is coming to Sheffield in the next few weeks. On asking them, they said that the club will be opening in around 5 weeks or so, so there is no immediate rush, but many of us are waiting with baited breath as to how exciting or enjoyable this new addition to the scene will be, and also WHERE it will be. There have been many rumors as to its location, but even I myself have drawn only a blank, so we will just have to wait and see.

Watch THIS space for more info about the new club as and when things happen, and, oh, what has become of all our formerly regular posters these days? I know that everyone including me, use facebook for a lot of our correspondence, but come on, there's life still in your Number 1 local Forum -just look at the wide variety of topics being discussed each and every day. So do us a favour, all you LGBT's both scene queens and non-scenesters, and also LGBT businesses and support services, WE want YOU posting more news, updates and activities on THIS thread as well as creating other threads as and when necessary, for the benefit of LGBT's and others on the Forum who want to keep up to date with all that's going on in our slice of the world.

Have a great Summer, and enjoy the many Prides to come!:love:

---------- Post added 08-07-2015 at 13:28 ----------

Folks,

The location of the new OMG club has just been revealed on their FB page:

It will be at 53-59 WEST STREET.

At long last, then, there will be a gay superclub on West Street; I wish them all the best!

See: https://www.facebook.com/omgsheffield?fref=ts

for regular updates! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am apart of the Funky Beaver Show taking place on the 7th & 8th August at the Library Theatre in Sheffield. The Lgbt scene has declined as of late due to gay bars and clubs closing and leaving something missing in the city centre. We are doing these shows to bring back some camp, entertaining fun that has been missing as of late. With the news of new gay clubs reopening later in the year, we want to start with a bang in improving the lgbt scene. We are one of the largest Drag groups in the UK between the ages of 19 to 22. The show is a way of letting students and young adults express their talents and creativity. It isn't just about the the Drag Queens. We will be working with students who are based in the technical side of putting on a production as well as students studying customer service and media production.

For more information and updates Like our Facebook page and event :)

Thanks guys and gals

Below are the links to our Facebook Page and Event.

https://www.facebook.com/funkybeavershow?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/events/580385428771386/

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11692652_520886698065418_8590546875100989684_n.jpg?oh=3b70f389572823bb5cf1988387f27834&oe=5650DBFE

Just to let everyone know, I am holding the INAUGRAL SHEFFIELD MEETING OF A.S.P.E.C.S. THE LGBT AUTISTIC NETWORK at the ETEN Cafe, York St., Sheffield, THIS WEDNESDAY NIGHT, (22 JULY) at 7PM. Basically it will be just an informal chat about strategies for LGBT autistic awareness and support, but it would be REALLY GREAT if you can come along, and also if you can forward this message to any others you know who might be interested.ALL LGBT people over 16 on the autistic spectrum, or who may be undiagnosed as autistic but showing characteristics, are welcome to attend, also all LGBT people involved in the care/support profession for autistic people, and also parents/friends/relatives of children who are autistic and identifying as LGBT are welcome to come along.

FYI, York Street is the small cobbled street on the eastern side of the churchyard around Sheffield C of E Cathedral. Following the inaugral Sheffield meeting, ASPECS Sheffield meetings will be held on the 4th Wednesday of every second month from July; i.e. September, November, January 2016.

FYI, a quick roundup of forthcoming Prides:

Chesterfield Pride, Sunday 26th July, Queens Park, Chesterfield.

Leeds Pride, Sunday 2nd August, from midday, Leeds City Centre.

Wakefield Pride, Sunday 9th August, Open air stage and stalls on street around The Rainbow pub, Wakefield.

Doncaster Pride, Saturday, August 22nd, Nigel Gresley Square. Begins with Walk of Unity starting at 1.30 outside CRYSTALS BAR, Market Place, following a route to Nigel Gresley Sq.

There are many other prides around the country, and don't forget Manchester to round off August, tickets on sale now.:love: