The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

I agree about the non-alcoholic thing: we need an alternative to the cliche of queer hedonism. Didn't someone start a lunch club a while ago? Cafe environments would be good too.

I think so. Do you mean the café on the Moor, which occasionally puts on theatre performances

That's only if your only intent in meeting other 'rainbow people' is to have sex!

No it's social too. There's plenty of guys on Grindr who are simply looking for mates/dates/friends... I would know :P

It's just the way things have evolved. Facebook & the dating apps is where people are making initial contact these days.

Guest makapaka
The vast majority of venues are now welcoming of everyone irrespective of who they love. It really has become a non-issue.

Personally I find it encouraging that LGBT venues are closing down.

Society has come a long way. The days of being frogmarched out of a venue for showing affection to the same sex are long gone.

I would agree with this - surely it's a good thing that there is less separation. It's what the world needs.

I would agree with this - surely it's a good thing that there is less separation. It's what the world needs.

I think the world needs less separation - but people should be able to get-together with 'like-minded' people in a safe space. It's okay for LGBT people to have their own venues, in the same way it's okay for Muslims or Quakers or beer lovers or motorbike enthusiasts or Yummy-Mummies, or whatever. It's okay to be different. We don't have to all go to the same places for society to be accepting.

Guest makapaka
I think the world needs less separation - but people should be able to get-together with 'like-minded' people in a safe space. It's okay for LGBT people to have their own venues, in the same way it's okay for Muslims or Quakers or beer lovers or motorbike enthusiasts or Yummy-Mummies, or whatever. It's okay to be different. We don't have to all go to the same places for society to be accepting.

I agree with that. I can understand why people would like to be with like-minded people also.

I'm not against an LGBT bar or anything - but I don't think they're as necessary these days which is a good thing.

The vast majority of venues are now welcoming of everyone irrespective of who they love. It really has become a non-issue.

Personally I find it encouraging that LGBT venues are closing down.

Society has come a long way. The days of being frogmarched out of a venue for showing affection to the same sex are long gone.

Perhaps some landlords are welcoming of LGBT people. Though I have to say I'd feel uncomfortable showing public affection to someone of my own sex in Weatherspoons of a Friday and Saturday night.

No it's social too. There's plenty of guys on Grindr who are simply looking for mates/dates/friends... I would know :P

It's just the way things have evolved. Facebook & the dating apps is where people are making initial contact these days.

Yes I have noticed that too. Looking for friends.. topless and headless pic... sexual position on profile.

Its a sex-app. I wonder how many good friends you have found on there lol

Dempseys is fairly dirty, but in the middle of nowhere - nonsense!

Its over a 10 minute walk from West street according to google, and everything around it is closed and the area deserted at that time of night. Which is why they do a great taxi trade straight outside it! Feels totally unsafe.

Edited by avalunche

Yes I have noticed that too. Looking for friends.. topless and headless pic... sexual position on profile.

Its over a 10 minute walk from West street according to google, and everything around it is closed and the area deserted at that time of night. Which is why they do a great taxi trade straight outside it! Feels totally unsafe.

West Street is hardly safe!

Like I said earlier, the heyday of the Gay scene in Sheffield was the late '90s early '00s - when the gay scene was up Attercliffe. That was when it was worth going up Attercliffe to see your mates.

That said, Dempseys was never the cleanest of places, & it's been allowed to deteriorate even further.

I don't think that's fair. Not everyone on Grindr is the "NSA" type. There's plenty of guys on there that just want to make friends, new social contacts etc.

There's plenty of uni students using it as well.

I got to know one of my neighbours who lives in the same apartment block through Grindr.