The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

• 4 weeks later...

I dropped in briefly last night, around eleven.. A handful of people indoors, the same smoking outdoors, but I don't know if it got busier later because it was past my bedtime. Has a Doctor Who theme, with Police box door, TARDIS control room lights and a DJ booth shaped like the bottom of a Dalek. Drag DJ was playing Abba and Gloria Gaynor, but apparently tonight promises an R 'n' B flavour.

---------- Post added 22-07-2018 at 08:31 ----------

Update: Queer Junction posted a picture on Facebook of a full dancefloor, so things seem to be going well. Roll on the next venue.

It is important to say we are not pointing our fingers at the council, they may have had a complaint from a "concerned neighbour" but it's more likely to be someone who doesn't like the idea of what we stand for and the LGBT nightlife we were trying to expand within Sheffield.

More likely its someone who didn't like the competition, from a newer, cleaner, safer environment, in a better location.

I have seen so many places come and go, I am not surprised really. People in Sheffield do not support clubs like OMG, they support seedy holes in rough areas like Dumpseys. Perhaps its because they are ashamed, and no one is likely to see them down the bottom of the Moor compared to on West Street?

For me, if the choice is Dumpseys or stay at home, I'll never be going out on the gay scene again. No big loss really.