The Sheffield gay scene part 2

max

Sanctuary will be re-opening next Thursday as a straight venue.

The new owner already has a venue in Sheffield and will be trying to turn around its fortunes with live music and possibly DJ's he already has connections with.

This is from the horses mouth as such !

Many Thanks, James, for putting us right up to date with Sanctuary.

I'll keep a tab on what happens at the old Affinity around the corner, as it looks like reopening, most likely also as a 'Mainstream' venue.

For those who go to Doncaster (Doncaster Pride is 21 August) Bar-NY closed down and is also reopening as a mainstream venue; I met the new owner. However, there is going to be a NEW Gay venue opening in the next few weeks there: 'Trinity' (formerly Camelots) in the old converted church in Wood St. Paid a visit to Donny the other day, but no-one was at 'Trinity' so I have no news of dates, type of nights, etc. as yet.

Interesting the news about the possibility of gay nights at Plug; I did drag there when it hosted Fuel for a couple of weeks.

Also, interesting what Skyfitsboy said about Viva Climax being quiet; I found it very quiet too, and this was surely because of Leeds Pride the following day -I went along and it was great; one of the highlights was the reopened Viaduct as a decent Drag Cabaret venue; this is the kind of attraction which sheffield could really do with, and it would be popular with gay and straight crowds alike. Dempseys and Affinity take note!

BTW, the Opening Night at Affinity was great, and I wish the new owners best of luck.:love:

Well lets be honest Climax has been rubbish for a fair few months now. I used to go every month, now its about one in three and that goes for the majority of my mates too. People are bored of it.

Also it was a bit of a stupid weekend for it to be on this weekend. You had the Affinity relaunch on Friday (which was rammed), then it was also Nottingham Pride on Saturday and Leeds Pride on Sunday. Unfortunately such is Sheffield's dismal gay scene, I think people are now prefferring to go further for a night out than stay in Sheffield where its a case of same old same old.

Drag Cabaret venue; this is the kind of attraction which sheffield could really do with, and it would be popular with gay and straight crowds alike.

And over and over and over again. When will you get it into your head that drag as an artform is tired, overated and outdated? No-one wants it but you love.

Edited by esme

Climax has been going down the pan for a fair few months to be quite honest. I like the event very much, but it's the same every 3rd Friday, same music, same set out, same everything. I also think there is something wrong with the drinks, lager is ALWAYS flat, I don't just mean most of the time, but ALWAYS.

I am also glad to hear about Affinity being changed, the first owners had no idea. Sanctaury is also best of closed, the location is **** and the venue is ****. I have no idea to why they keep the place open as a bar/nightclub, because the only thing it could be good at is being a restaurant.

Affinity - Never busy

Xes - Drug den

Lair - Disgusting

Dempsey's - Rip off.

Climax - Same every month.

It's all a mess at the moment and for one am hating the scene.

Climax has been going down the pan for a fair few months to be quite honest. I like the event very much, but it's the same every 3rd Friday, same music, same set out, same everything. I also think there is something wrong with the drinks, lager is ALWAYS flat, I don't just mean most of the time, but ALWAYS.

I am also glad to hear about Affinity being changed, the first owners had no idea. Sanctaury is also best of closed, the location is **** and the venue is ****. I have no idea to why they keep the place open as a bar/nightclub, because the only thing it could be good at is being a restaurant.

Affinity - Never busy

Xes - Drug den

Lair - Disgusting

Dempsey's - Rip off.

Climax - Same every month.

It's all a mess at the moment and for one am hating the scene.

Totally agree... and yes Climax drinks are dodgy... also why is there never any ice? Sorry but warm vodka and coke isn't all that pleasant!!!

It’s the same old complaints with regards to Sheffield gay scene, change bleeding the record and if you’re that unsatisfied with the gay venues in Sheffield do something about it or go else where. Sheffield gay scene is never going to change or get better if people just sit back and slag it off :rolleyes:

It’s the same old complaints with regards to Sheffield gay scene, change bleeding the record and if you’re that unsatisfied with the gay venues in Sheffield do something about it or go else where. Sheffield gay scene is never going to change or get better if people just sit back and slag it off :rolleyes:

People do go elsewhere, that is why it's ****. The same old people will stick to the same old places and most of the Sheffield gayers, will be in Leeds, Birmingham and Manchester due to the poorness. You may say do something about it, but there is't anything you can do.

I do go elsewhere.