Sei do kan karate: does anyone remember jd lowcocks karate club?

LAGTECH

i trained with John Lowcock down at Attercliffe vestry hall just after he had got his black belt in the 70's, it used to be pretty good then. He got webbed up with a guy called Danny Connor (3rd Dan) and they opened the dojo on Granville Rd, i went a few times but the fees kept rising....so i quit & went elsewhere.

• 3 months later...

Is there anyone still interested in John Lowcock, Danny Connor and the sei-do-kan wado-ryu-karate organisation. I have been with the sei-do kan organisation since 1972 in the Manchester branch, I have trained many times in Sheffield over the years and remember Tony Lomas from the dim and distance past. I am still training in the wado ryu style 38 years on and have taken over the stewardship of sei-do-kan. If anyone is still following this string I would be more than happy to fill in any details, that's if I can remember, 38 years is a long time and many names and faces have come and gone.

Is there anyone still interested in John Lowcock, Danny Connor and the sei-do-kan wado-ryu-karate organisation. I have been with the sei-do kan organisation since 1972 in the Manchester branch, I have trained many times in Sheffield over the years and remember Tony Lomas from the dim and distance past. I am still training in the wado ryu style 38 years on and have taken over the stewardship of sei-do-kan. If anyone is still following this string I would be more than happy to fill in any details, that's if I can remember, 38 years is a long time and many names and faces have come and gone.

Hi Boyert.

I trained with John Lowcock for a few years and remember well, a few times going over to your dojo in Manchester and, your lads coming over here to Sheffield. We always had some good fights and a good time. I remember -from your dojo- Ken Terry, his brother Pete Terry and Bullet. How are the lads these days?

I used to go training with Tony Lomas inbetween lessons with John Lowcock, also Phil Stone.

I remember well also, Paul Power, his cousin David, Steve Machin, Martin (fireman)

Edited by True_Brit

Hi true-brit

Yes many names and memories, I bumped into Ken Tarry a few years back he looked well, his brother peter I have not seen for many years but the last time was down at Sale leisure centre where we used to train for all those years, I think he was there for the badminton.

We were still training there until a couple of years ago, I moved on around that time after 36 years and now just teach a few private students. John Lowcock is still training over in Sheffield, Martin as well although Martin has damaged his Achilles tendon so his leg is in a pot at the moment.

Paul Powers I remember, he was a good fighter, I lost my two front teeth to him in a match down at Sale, he was disqualified and I won the bout, ironic. The last time I saw him was at a competition, I think it was the leadmill, possibly in Sheffield not sure such a long time ago. Tony Lomas I last saw at the Civic Hall in Sheffield we were on the same bill in a full contact Karate comp. that Danny Connor and Toru Takamazawa were promoting, Tony demolished his opponent in about ten seconds flat, that must have been in about 1976 such a long time ago.

How about you did you carry on training?

Hi true-brit

Yes many names and memories, I bumped into Ken Tarry a few years back he looked well, his brother peter I have not seen for many years but the last time was down at Sale leisure centre where we used to train for all those years, I think he was there for the badminton.

We were still training there until a couple of years ago, I moved on around that time after 36 years and now just teach a few private students. John Lowcock is still training over in Sheffield, Martin as well although Martin has damaged his Achilles tendon so his leg is in a pot at the moment.

Paul Powers I remember, he was a good fighter, I lost my two front teeth to him in a match down at Sale, he was disqualified and I won the bout, ironic. The last time I saw him was at a competition, I think it was the leadmill, possibly in Sheffield not sure such a long time ago. Tony Lomas I last saw at the Civic Hall in Sheffield we were on the same bill in a full contact Karate comp. that Danny Connor and Toru Takamazawa were promoting, Tony demolished his opponent in about ten seconds flat, that must have been in about 1976 such a long time ago.

How about you did you carry on training?

Hi Boyert

Forgot to mention your name in my last post. The T on the end of Boyert is the first letter of your first name..:thumbsup:

I carried on for quite a few years, Johns' dojo was my main one but, also trained in a few more of different styles. Good to know that you are still active, all the best with it.

• 2 months later...

My God !!. You mean J Lowcock is still training after all these years ? Did my first karate with him, April 1973 Attercliffe Vestry Hall, John must have been 35 then so he's been round the block a time or two. I'd love to make contact again. I recall that Martin was a fireman and his partner also trained she was a teacher I believe. I knew Tony, Brian J, S Machin, P Stone and others. Any more info such as when and where they train ?

• 3 weeks later...