Tracing Lawson Street

JOGI

Thanks Plain Talker for your explanation of the courts. This enables me to understand the conditions of my father's times and will have to bear in mind when doing further research. I only got the certificate yesterday morning so am staggered by all the help and info. received since then. Bye for now. JG.

My grandmother lived in a court, they lived on matilta street, so they must have been quite usual for those times.

They were indeed quite usual in those days, and later.... I was born in a court house, and I've only just got my bus pass!.:P

Hi P.T. I appreciate your time in map tracing. I'll make further attempts but not very confident. It's a strange situation, as his on-line school records as a child show him living at 118 Alexandra Rd, close by. I feel I can certainly discount Lawson ROAD. I'll keep you updated. Regards and good health. JG

I think I can remember 118, Alexandra Road (it's now demolished) as my grandparents lived at 114, Alexandra Road.

My grandparents house was a large mid-terrace adjoining the local milkman's house, his would have been 116 which would have been adjoining 118, Alexandra Road.

If my memory serves me right, 118 fronted a small courtyard of houses, it's the only courtyard I can recall from Alexandra Road, there were about 4 houses in this courtyad which had a lamp-post in the centre, it was accessed by a passageway next to 118. I doubt if the houses in this court were back-to-back as they appeared to be ordinary terraced houses.

I'm sure that a family with the surname of Windle lived in 118 during the 50's-60's.

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Duffems. Fantastic stuff. Thanks so much for this. It's incredible that you can give me such a picture of things so long ago. I'd like to chat further but running late but promise to get back to you a.s.a.p. Bye. J.

Looks like youre in luck as the 1911 census 118 Alexandra Road lists the streets the family were born on J.L.G- Lawson Street

Archived