Tracing Lawson Street

JOGI

Thanks Retep. Good of you to provide this info. It's like trying to sort a jig-saw puzzle out but I suppose further back harder it gets. Cheers.

Here's where they were born,

A.G-Bath Street

M.E.G-Napier Street

M.E.G-Margaret Street

J.L.G-Lawson Street

E.G-Exeter Street

D.P.G-Oak Street

E.M.G-Romney Road

G.G-Richards Road

A.G-Richards Road

O.G-Richards Road

E.G-Alexander Road

W.h?G-Alexander Road

Hi Duffems. Fantastic stuff. Thanks so much for this. It's incredible that you can give me such a picture of things so long ago. I'd like to chat further but running late but promise to get back to you a.s.a.p. Bye. J.

hiya just found lawson street it was in broomhall in my street directoryit states lawson street(exeter street)down to milton street. if you were to walk along milton street from clarence street on the right hand side the next street was lawson street it had a pub on the corner ( the derby i think) bang across was the chip shop and down side was a coal dealer i still remember the little barrows that were used with cast iron wheels. thinking about it i must have passed lawson street many times to go to the star cinema from my home on bath street.

Here's where they were born,

A.G-Bath Street

M.E.G-Napier Street

M.E.G-Margaret Street

J.L.G-Lawson Street

E.G-Exeter Street

D.P.G-Oak Street

E.M.G-Romney Road

G.G-Richards Road

A.G-Richards Road

O.G-Richards Road

E.G-Alexander Road

W.h?G-Alexander Road

If memory serves me right:

Napier, Margaret, Lawson, Exeter Streets are basically in Broomhall area whereas Oak, Romney, Richards and Alexandra are all more or less Heeley area.

If memory serves me right:

Napier, Margaret, Lawson, Exeter Streets are basically in Broomhall area whereas Oak, Romney, Richards and Alexandra are all more or less Heeley area.

Correct duffems.

oak street is parallel with Gleadless Road, from London road, at Heeley bottom. It's the first road after Gleadless road and the railway bridge that runs over Heeley Bottom. Where Ponsford's extension is now (where the old cinema was)

Richards Road and Alexandra road are also Heeley, running, parallel with each other, up the hill, off Prospect road, toward Heeley green.

Romney road was just above the church of St Peter (now the Nazarene church). The road itself no longer exists, but a street called "Romney Gardens" is on the site nowadays.

Napier street is almost Broomhall:- it's in Sharrow, it runs behind Waitrose.

Margaret Street is off Shoreham Street, in the Bramall Lane area.

Poor old DUFFEMS - here's a map to help you out..:P

Thanks hillsbro though I'm not too sure about the "old" Duffems.

So, Bath Street was in the Broomhall area then and, not too far from Lawson Street. I'm more familiar with the Heeley/Meersbrook areas without having to resort to maps (sticks tongue out to hillsbro).

Just hope that JOGI benefits from this digression.

Hi Duffems. Just a short explanation. Hillsbro's map on S'F today, enabled me to possibly sort out my father's history. So this afternoon, I composed a very long message and started typing it in Post Reply, to send to you. I got almost to the end when it vanished off the screen!. This has happened a few times in recent months. Suffice it to say that I think that I've got a positive trace. If interested I'll try again soon. Regards

PT, can you recall where Bath Street was/is, I'm too lazy to look it up!

Duffems

Bath Street was the next street down from Broomhall Street, pretty much round the corner from Lawson St. It ran near the Springfield school section of Broomhall Street, where the new (ish) low-rise flats are, on the opposite side of Broomhall St from the West One complex.

Archived