From the Colonies

Downsunder

Apart from the continent of Antarctica itself, Tasmania is the nearest land mass to the South Magnetic pole. You don't meet too many Sheffielders in this part of the colonies, so imagine my surprise . . . I bumped into an old acquaintance in my little town, a German guy I used to play table tennis with, he had a friend with him, someone I'd never seen before. After a while his friend asked me if I was from Yorkshire or Lancashire, I thought about giving him a Manchester kiss, instead I just said, Yorkshire. To which he replied 'I'm from Sheffield' Well, his accent was definitely Dore and Totley but at least we could understand each other. Born in Jessops, he was a doctor who emigrated and spent 4 years working here as a GP then went back, to live down south somewhere. His name was (Michael?) Hilton - as in Paris. Maybe someone knows him? Cheers.

Archived