Handsworth hall

tedb4-to-1

thanks what was the old hall or whatever i remember seeing near the old wilf jays scrap yard early 80s? any ideas thanks

I think you mean Malcolm Bishop Salvage that was at the bottom of Orgeave Lane on the colliery site, you would pass Orgreave Hall to get there. Malcom Bishop used to own an american police car that could often be seen driven around the Handsworth area.

• 1 month later...
does anyone know anything about handsworth hall ?

All of the information provided above about Handsworth Hall is correct. It stood on Finchwell Road and was demolished in 1969. The actual hall became one of the farmhouses and was farmed by various families including the Dodsons (after whom a Handsworth road is named) and the Mottrams. My grandmother was Dorothy Mottram and was born at the Hall in 1914. Her father, George Mottram was farming there at the time. George's brother farmed Myrtle Bank farm, also in Handsworth. George's son Tom was the last farmer there. The farm had a large yard, a dairy, stables and an old fashioned gypsy caravan that was rented out as accommodation. I have lots of photographs of the hall and grounds if anyone is interested.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Do you mean Ballifield Hall or Bramley Hall ?

Look on sheffieldhistory.co.uk A very good site for Sheffield History.

Hi Silly and everyone, click on http://www.picturesheffield.com and type in Bramley Hall. There is a photo of the house which is or was on Bramley Hall Road Handsworth and is described as once the Manor House of Handsworth. Anyone know if it had equal status to Handsworth Hall or any other info?

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

• 10 months later...