Wincobank Hall - who built it and when?

Anarchon

I'm currently researching the local area around Wincobank Hill. At the junction of Shiregreen Lane and Newman Road there used to be a large manor house called Wincobank Hall. Does anyone know the full history of the hall and estate? I know it was home to the Rawson sisters in the early 19th century who had links with the anti slavery movement and I know the hall was demolished in the 1920s to make way for a social housing development. However, I cannot find any reference to when it was first built and more importantly, who built it. Was there previous evidence of occupation on the site before the last hall was built? Sheffield University undertook an excavation of the remains of the hall, however, I don't think their site report has been published yet(?)

Hi Anarchon - the notes accompanying this photo state that Wincobank Hall was built in 1760 by John Sparrow, while another photo confirms that it was demolished in 1925/26.

Although I believe Joseph Hunter says there was an earlier house/homestead on the site, probably Tudor or even medieval. The shame is no archeology is done on these sites before they're lost forever.

well i went when they excavated it i saw the cellars it was really interesting ive found all sorts out even the servants who lived there .

Yes i have a big list of all the servants from a particular time, including their wages and why they left.

Here's a scan from John Hunter's "Hallamshire" (1859 edition) with a reference to Wincobank Hall. Hunter writes that, some time after the death of John Sparrow, the Hall was sold to Joseph Read. Googling "Joseph Read" and "Wincobank" brought up this interesting webpage. John Sparrow evidently died in 1789, and after further changes in ownership the Hall was bought by Joseph Read in 1816.

Thanks Hillsbro for a yet another great contribution.

Your research and postings help to make this forum attractive and informative.

Long may you continue with your excellent efforts.

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Pop T - nice to know that the stuff I post is of interest. One advantage of having grey hair is that over the years I've accumulated lots of books, including Hunter's (revised by Gatty) weighty tome of 1859, as well as some useful local maps. I'm sure I have seen another reference to Wincobank Hall in a different book and will see if I can find it.

Archived