Hammerton county and waltheof School

When I went to Hammerton County School I lived on Garth Road and we crossed over the road near Whitakers. Walked towards the school and the corner house on Ouseburn Road and Thames Road was a sweet shop. Can't remember the names of the people who owned it. Used to get sherbert dabs, sweet cigarets etc. Good job the dentist was just across the road from the Staniforth Arms on Staniforth Road. In 1964 I was a barmaid at the Staniforth Arms and at just 18yrs I was the youngest they had ever had. I worked there with my mum until i met my future husband Brian Hayes. His parents were the money lenders on Staniforth Road opposite the fruit and veg shop. I remember the daughter of the fruit and veg shop riding her Palomino pony in the Whitsuntide parade. Does anyone remember Trevor Pearson, the Gallagher family or Margaret McNalty or the O'Donnell family. I was a cubmistress at the scout hut on Broad Oaks at one time. I remember the Irish lads who boarded at a house on there too. One was called Timothy Daley. Back to Hammerton County and I remember being happiest when I was playing 'rounders' and was very good at catching and running. I went back to the area last year and was sad at the changes. They say you should never look back but honestly, although we were all poor, we seemed to be happy with a lot less than our grandkids have today!!!

Hammerton County was my first school. Started there in, I think, 1968. I was only there for a couple of years before moving up to Gleadless Valley.

At the time I lived just across Staniforth Rd. on Bray St. My best friend who lived in the next yard was Tracy Birch.

Chris

Hammerton County was my first school. Started there in, I think, 1968. I was only there for a couple of years before moving up to Gleadless Valley.

At the time I lived just across Staniforth Rd. on Bray St. My best friend who lived in the next yard was Tracy Birch.

Chris

Did she ave a brother called Trevor Birch he would be older than her. If so I may have gone to school with him. I remember the family as we lived on Garth Road. I was Doreen Hall then. Gabby

I went to Waltheof School and i left in 1979, i also went to Woodbourn Road School before that. I used to live on Ripon street, happy days:)

We have just had a reunion for anyone who attended either School and are having another one near to christmas so if anyone wants to come you are more than welcome.

All the names of teachers mentioned really bring back memories and we have a website for Woodbourn/Waltheof Schools on Facebook for anyone on here who wants to comment about your memories or to look up old friends.

hey up whats your name im off ripon st went to all 3 schools and im on facebook ,yes woodbourn school is on facebook a lot of old friends there im a bit younger than you though lol was at waltheof in 85 im 1 of whiteleys off ripon st

hey up whats your name im off ripon st went to all 3 schools and im on facebook ,yes woodbourn school is on facebook a lot of old friends there im a bit younger than you though lol was at waltheof in 85 im 1 of whiteleys off ripon st

I was Julie Charlesworth, i lived near the steel works on Ripon Street

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I went to Hammerton School til 1966 then to Waltheof. I lived on Cattel Street off Staniforth Road. Storeys Bakery was at the top of our street - lovely buns + cakes!!! My cousin David Green lived down Wilstrop Road he went to Whitby Road school, then to Waltheof - same year as me

Archived