Messerschmitt Bf-109, Barkers Pool, 1940?

dr_g

Hello,

Messerschmitt Bf-109, on display in Barkers Pool, 1940

Shame I can't figure out how to post images on here, but there you go. I am building a model of this aircraft, and wondered: Does anyone have any info or photos? My Dad saw it displayed in Barkers Pool (outside the City Hall) during the war, and bought a stamp which he was able to stick on the fuselage. It was to raise money for some kind of war fund. I have several photos of the aircraft when it was in service, some information about the pilot too, and also some flight simulator models that someone has made.

From the little research I've done, I have come up with this:

It was Bf 109 E4 "White 5" of 3rd Gruppe/JG 53 (53rd Fighter wing, possibly based in Guernsey), shot down over Margate, Kent on 6th September 1940. The pilot was Unteroffizier Schulte and the aircraft crash landed near Manston airfield. The swastika has been painted out. That was because the Wing Commander, Hans-Jürgen Erdmann von Cramon-Taubadel married a girl who, in Goering's opinion, was not suitable (Jewish). He therefore ordered the unit to remove their "Ace of Spades" mascot from the cowlings of their Messerschmitts and paint a red band around the noses of their aircraft as a mark of shame. When Cramon-Taubadel was replaced, the “Ace of Spades” mascot was reinstated, but, in response to this, the unit overpainted the swastikas of their aircraft in protest.

Any info much appreciated!

Cheers,

Hi dr_g - this is a scan of the postcard that was sold at the time. It shows the 'plane being lowered into position on the site of the old Albert Hall (it had burned down in 1937). The money collected went to the Sheffield Newspapers War Fund.

Hi dr_g - this is a scan of the postcard that was sold at the time. It shows the 'plane being lowered into position on the site of the old Albert Hall (it had burned down in 1937). The money collected went to the Sheffield Newspapers War Fund.

That's the one. I've got some other pictures showing the aircraft both in service and soon after crashing.

I have obtained some transcripts of the original crash reports too.

I'd be interested in seeing any other photos of the aircraft when it was in Sheffield.

I remember sitting in the cockpit of the ME109, we also bought war saving stamps & stuck them on the plane, I was 8yrs old at the time. I have a vague memory that other aircraft where there too.

• 8 months later...

Archived