Jet petrol station - Sheffield Rd High Green

telekoness1

Hi guys and gals.

Just wondering if any of you know what use to stand way way back in the place of, what is now, Jet petrol station at High Green.

The Jet I mean is the one on Sheffield Rd S35 opposite the Crown Inn pub, which always seems closed.

I just need to know what it use to be, if anything, before it was a petrol station.

Ive been told it use to be a mechanics garage, but im sort of leaning probably to just farm land, so if anyone could help me please id be most grateful.

Cheers :D

I used to work there as a motor mechanic in the late 80,s it was owned at that time by mick frost. we did repairs, servicing and 24 hour breakdown recovery. it was a also a filling station at that time. I believe mick sold it to the petrol company around 1990, who then demolished the old garage and built the one thats there now. but the old garage had been there as long as i can remember. maybe some of the older residents of high green might remember how far back it went. btw it was called ; crown garage ; when i was there.

My paternal grandfather William Walker owned it in the 50's until his death in 1963, it was called Crown Garage and was a filling station, car sales and as you rightly say a mechanics garage and they had permission for use of the rear as a scrap yard. After the death of my grandfather, my (sadly also late) father who too was named William (but known as Bill) continued to run the business until it was sold I think in 1967, by which time he had opened The Motor Shop in Chapeltown. My grandparents had Westwood House opposite built after buying the garage. I will see if I can get a more precise date and what it was when my family bought it.

Thanks for the information. I was wanting to know as I work there now and some of us girls have experienced 'noises' and 'seen things' so I was trying to get some background on this for the others.

I was trying to go down the line of the possibility of any deaths that could have happened here as well as one girl in particular was told of such a thing but we were unsure if the guy who told her was just winding her up over the experience she had early one morning.

Thanks for the information. I was wanting to know as I work there now and some of us girls have experienced 'noises' and 'seen things' so I was trying to get some background on this for the others.

I was trying to go down the line of the possibility of any deaths that could have happened here as well as one girl in particular was told of such a thing but we were unsure if the guy who told her was just winding her up over the experience she had early one morning.

during the time i worked there sometimes after working late i used to stay overnight and sleep in an old caravan round the back, but at no time did i ever see or here anything strange, and i dont recall the owner or his wife,who worked in the shop,mention anything. hope this helps.

My paternal grandfather William Walker owned it in the 50's until his death in 1963, it was called Crown Garage and was a filling station, car sales and as you rightly say a mechanics garage and they had permission for use of the rear as a scrap yard. On his death my late father also William (but known as Bill) continued to run the business until it was sold I think in 1967, by which time he had opened The Motor Shop in Chapeltown. My grandparents had Westwood House opposite built after buying the garage. I will see if I can get a more precise date and what it was when my family bought it.

I remember your dad well, there wernt many motor spares shops around when i first started driving and i was always calling in, mostly for big tubs of body filler to patch up the rust buckets that we used to drive in those days. your dad was also good freinds with mine.

I remember your dad well, there wernt many motor spares shops around when i first started driving and i was always calling in, mostly for big tubs of body filler to patch up the rust buckets that we used to drive in those days. your dad was also good freinds with mine.

I probably served you at some time as I used to run the shop most Sundays and holidays and most male customers were a bit put off to find a female behind the counter and not Bill. :) Shame there aren't many car spares shops like it left nowadays, not as many patch cars up anymore! Who was/is your dad, just wondered if I knew him?

I probably served you at some time as I used to run the shop most Sundays and holidays and most male customers were a bit put off to find a female behind the counter and not Bill. :) Shame there aren't many car spares shops like it left nowadays, not as many patch cars up anymore! Who was/is your dad, just wondered if I knew him?

hi again, my dads name is peter ward. next time i speak to him i will ask him how he came to know your dad and when e.t.c. It would have been about 1975 when i first started driving and i do recall being served by a woman ocassionally. basically, any new parts came from your dads shop and any second hand bits came from bosswell & jackson.

Archived