Narrative or characterisation

Kaimani

can anyone give me two examples-one of a good book that had narrative as it's main strength, and another of one that had characterisation(sp) as its main strength. i know that the former is more more widespread, but sure there are one or two of the later. just want to compare the two. can't really think of any two right now.

ps- there's an urban legend=i think, it has to be, of a three hundred page book about a guy walking from one end of a small town to the other. my dream book that-to write i mean: one in which not much happens but you just have to read it to the end. can this be done? does anyone know of this man-walking-through-town book?

thanks. will do. reading a book called 'you shall know our velocity'. pretty. good.

any other titles where the characters seem to keep things interesting even if nothing much, in the usual sense, is happening.

keith, interesting idea posited on your site. too early to digest it so will go back to read the terms and conditions (re-marketing) etc.

Hmmm! A book with characterisation as its main strength, that’s an interesting one. Coyley ponders before asking his wife.

The wife suggests ‘Alice in wonderland’ I think I would go for ‘The Road to Wigan Pier’. Am I on the right track here or am I talking rubbish? (as usual).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kaimani,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question as most books have both elements of narrative & characterisation, however, I'd probably nominate FIGHT CLUB by Chuck Palaniuk for a narrative based novel, or Homer's Odyssey if you fancy something a little more high brow.

A characterisation novel could be classed as one with a particularly strong protagonist, perhaps one that undergoes a change or development throughout the book, for this reason I'd recommend Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

I'd also consider looking at stories that contain diverse characters and see how the author brings them to life.

Have a look at The Boat (Das Boot) by Lothar- Gunther Buchheim, or any of the books by James Herriot.

Finally, the urban legend book you're looking for - I've no idea - the only thing that comes to mind is The Swimmer by John Cheever or the Michael Douglas Film Falling Down - in which lots of violent things do happen, so it doesn't sound like your book where 'nothing much happens.' :)

Good luck with that, let us know if you find it.

Archived