When did these city centre shops finally close for good?

Sheff2006

It was open in August 2001 as id just moved into my house and bought light shades,maybe it was in the closing down sale?

I move to Sheffield in 2000 and BHS on Haymarket was open then. I remember having a meal in the restaurant downstairs. It was on it's last legs though, with everything permanently on sale.

A discount shoe shop did take over the BHS premises on Haymarket, for about a year, maybe two.

Yes, but I bought my shoes from BHS, not the market place it turned into after it closed...

Seems like quite a few people shopped in there at the time I did too though when you look at threads now... Maybe the poster who thought it had closed when she had her kid will discover the child isn't as old as she thought??? Although parents normally get that wrong the other way around...

Yes it took me all that time to find the rest of my post lol. I was hoping no-one would notice for an hour or so!

Sh2006.

Suggs were on Exchange St and on Pinstone street

I would think they closed around 2000 as I remeber taking my two granddaughters in for badminton raquets when they were prob 8 yrs old or slightly older

And yes the west st shop was Darlows but when that closed can't say sorry

Burtons haymarket was top of dixon lane hubby got his wedding suit from there 1990

At last someone else who remembers the 'other' Burtons. This branch often seemed to be the better of the 2 city centre branches. I feel sure there was another floor (upstairs or downstairs?) and it was Dorothy Perkins? Anybody remember any more on this?

Suggs were on Exchange St and on Pinstone street

I would think they closed around 2000 as I remeber taking my two granddaughters in for badminton raquets when they were prob 8 yrs old or slightly older

And yes the west st shop was Darlows but when that closed can't say sorry

I was never all that keen on Suggs but did buy the odd item from them. Seem to remember the Exchange Street branch being very small.

Sh2006.

• 5 months later...

Sat afternoons as a young teen started at the bottom of Fargate, call into Chelsea girl, next Dotty P's walk up to HMV on Pinstone Street and the Bead shop and then go back to the Wimpy on Fargate to shout out of the window.

My mum worked at BHS for many years but left in 1989.

At last someone else who remembers the 'other' Burtons. This branch often seemed to be the better of the 2 city centre branches. I feel sure there was another floor (upstairs or downstairs?) and it was Dorothy Perkins? Anybody remember any more on this?

I was never all that keen on Suggs but did buy the odd item from them. Seem to remember the Exchange Street branch being very small.

Sh2006.

I used to love Suggs. I can remember going in as a nipper, to the upstairs bit, and looking at all the shotguns and crossbows!

You remind me of the time when Sheffield city centre used to have decent shops (and not mobile phone shops).

I remember Virgin at Moorfoot, Habitat, Quadrant Stationers, Redgates, Woolworth, BHS, HMV & Sugg Sports on Pinstone Street, (Im)Pulse on Cambridge Street, Wimpy, Fox's Music, Rackham's, Schofield's, C & A, Virgin (when it moved to High Street), Dixon's, Laskey's on Leopold Street and so on.

Another sad fact is that for its supposed size, Sheffield has only one decent book shop in the city centre: Waterstone's.

And some of us can remember when Cole Brothers was at Coles Corner and Wilson Peck piano shop on the corner of Leopold Street! Is Davy's still in Fargate - when I was a little girl, they ground the coffee in a machine which vented out into Fargate. The smell was lovely.