When did these city centre shops finally close for good?

Sheff2006

You remind me of the time when Sheffield city centre used to have decent shops (and not mobile phone shops).

I remember Virgin at Moorfoot, Habitat, Quadrant Stationers, Redgates, Woolworth, BHS, HMV & Sugg Sports on Pinstone Street, (Im)Pulse on Cambridge Street, Wimpy, Fox's Music, Rackham's, Schofield's, C & A, Virgin (when it moved to High Street), Dixon's, Laskey's on Leopold Street and so on.

Another sad fact is that for its supposed size, Sheffield has only one decent book shop in the city centre: Waterstone's.

:wow: ousetunes, you missed out Pippys! :wow:

• 4 months later...
At last someone else who remembers the 'other' Burtons. This branch often seemed to be the better of the 2 city centre branches. I feel sure there was another floor (upstairs or downstairs?) and it was Dorothy Perkins? Anybody remember any more on this?

I was never all that keen on Suggs but did buy the odd item from them. Seem to remember the Exchange Street branch being very small.

Sh2006.

I worked in Burtons on the Haymarket for a few years in the early 80's. There were 2 floors to the menswear depts and a lower ground floor which was occupied by Top Shop.

The shop was plagued with shoplifters who'd run across the road to pubs like The Cannon and Hen & Chickens to sell their ill-gotten gains.

• 3 years later...
Chelsea Girl was on fargate because i used to work there in the 70's

Chelsea Girl originally was half way up King Street above Royce menswear and blelow Peter Robinsons. Hornes was under Peter Roninsons. Burtons/ Topshop was on the corner of Haymarket and Dixin Lane and could have been on 3 floors with entrances on Dixon Lane Haymarket and the Gallery. Don't remember Bradley's on Chapel Walk but do remember Philip Canns the music man.

The reason for googling this was to find out if anybody occupied the building between C & A and Primark

At last someone else who remembers the 'other' Burtons. This branch often seemed to be the better of the 2 city centre branches. I feel sure there was another floor (upstairs or downstairs?) and it was Dorothy Perkins? Anybody remember any more on this?

I was never all that keen on Suggs but did buy the odd item from them. Seem to remember the Exchange Street branch being very small.

Sh2006.

Burtons was on the Moor at the corner of Matilda Street.

All the windows where blown in during the great Sheffield gale.

A few Down at heel Sheffielders suddenly looked very smart around about that time;)

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 08:23 ----------

I worked in Burtons on the Haymarket for a few years in the early 80's. There were 2 floors to the menswear depts and a lower ground floor which was occupied by Top Shop.

The shop was plagued with shoplifters who'd run across the road to pubs like The Cannon and Hen & Chickens to sell their ill-gotten gains.

And now we have money lenders.