Half Marathon Training

scottf

Is there anyone that is doing the half marathon that would want to start doing some evening/weekend running in preparation for the sheffield half marathon?

I can manage 9-10k at weekends on a pretty reasonable pace but would like to try out some new routes during the week but im lacking route inspiration at the minute!!

Live in S10 but i drive so getting around isn't a problem.

Cheers

Scott

You can't avoid the hills in S10 (or anywhere in Sheffield) but a good one is to run from S10 into town, via Broomhill, Glossop Road, down West Street, down Church Street and High street, down to Fitzalan Square, then turn right, down to Pond Street, past the Howard Hotel, all the way down to Decathlon, back up to Ecclesall road, then along Ecclesall road to Hunters Bar Roundabout, then either go up Brocco Bank and then up Manchester Road, or go through Endcliffe Park and up to Ranmoor and back.

The last bit, uphill, is tough of course.

Sunday mornings, you can run from Hunters Bar roundabout all the way to Don Valley stadium and back when the weather picks up.

I'm training for the half and tomorrow I'm running from my home in Lodge Moor to Bamford (10 miles). By the end of the week I'll have run over 100 miles in little less than six weeks (and lost three quarters of a stone).

Which route is that, out on the Snake Pass??

I'm training for the half and tomorrow I'm running from my home in Lodge Moor to Bamford (10 miles). By the end of the week I'll have run over 100 miles in little less than six weeks (and lost three quarters of a stone).

Thanks for reminding me just how far i need to go!

You can't avoid the hills in S10 (or anywhere in Sheffield) but a good one is to run from S10 into town, via Broomhill, Glossop Road, down West Street, down Church Street and High street, down to Fitzalan Square, then turn right, down to Pond Street, past the Howard Hotel, all the way down to Decathlon, back up to Ecclesall road, then along Ecclesall road to Hunters Bar Roundabout, then either go up Brocco Bank and then up Manchester Road, or go through Endcliffe Park and up to Ranmoor and back.

The last bit, uphill, is tough of course.

Sunday mornings, you can run from Hunters Bar roundabout all the way to Don Valley stadium and back when the weather picks up.

Thats not a bad route thanks, i don;t mind hills at the end- at least im fully warmed up then!!

http://www.mapometer.com has some good routes too.

Which route is that, out on the Snake Pass??

I live in Lodge Moor just off Crimicar Lane.

Yesterday's run - which ended up being bang on eleven miles - took me city-bound along Redmires Road/Sandygate Road, down Coldwell Lane and along the A57 Manchester Road to Ladybower reservoirs.

I turned left over Ladybower Viaduct, past the Yorkshire Bridge and I came to a halt at a lay-by near Bamford.

I had forgotten what a laborious climb it is from Rivelin Post Office to Moscar Heights. However, it was an enjoyable run even if it was so cold that sweat on my legs turned to icicles. (I kid you not!)

PS. I weighed myself when I got home and am proud to announce that since the start of the year I have lost a stone!!

Archived