Cars that go on forever

Scoob Impreza (estate) or Legacy (estate), non-turbo models. As old as a '99 model with around 100kmiles (history must be comprehensive faultless) wouldn't scare me away, and will be yours for well below your budget.

Built like panzers (looks a bit like, too :hihi:), they defined car reliability in the late 90s/early 00s and still pretty much do, and will just go on and on and on and on and on...

A bit thirsty on petrol, though not much more than same-size/same-engine other makes when driven normally/sensibly.

Thats a shame, the ST200 is a decent motor even if it is a bit of a lump.

It is, however many of the parts for it are specific to that exact model (ours is a V plate) which isn't at all common. We've had to pay out an awful lot for bits that take weeks and weeks to arrive from Ford.

Not to mention the brand new, OE lower arm that failed after about 2000 miles... not good at all. Had to wait so long for the replacements that we gave up and told them not to bother because the car was going in on scrappage :rolleyes:

It's easier and cheaper to get bits for my 18yo golf than that!

If you have a medium speed crash in a 8/10 year old car you are going to get very badly hurt.

Modern cars have far better crash test rating and give you and your family a far better chance of ever walking again.

It depends on the car. My brothers friend used to have an ancient old Mercedes, and his wife had a new Fiesta. He got rear-ended in the Mercedes and walked away, but the police told him he would have been lucky to survive in the Fiesta.

Volvo S70 - will go on for ever if serviced properly, a bit juicy but will seat 4 in comfort and the best seats I've ever sat in. Simple unstressed 5 cyclinder engine, no turbo to go wrong. Lot of car for the money.

Or

Older shape Corolla 1.4. Cheap to run and big enough for 4. Should get one with about 70-80k miles so will still be under 100k after 2 years use.

Archived