Cars that go on forever

;5934005']VW Golf TDI. Cheap to run, new parts are easy and dirt cheap to find and being a VW diesel it could drive 5 times around the planet without breaking down...

Found a good few examples here... Note the mileage on the second one!! 236,000 miles!

The one that had a full engine rebuild at 155k? :hihi:

The best ive ever had is my dads cavalier...Paid £70 for it 4 years ago,...inc all mot work and repairs ive spent about £200 on it in that time....servicing??...whats that??.....Ive never changed oil..topped coolent up or nothing....This car will never break down. :-)

Other than that the other best car ive ever had was a Toyota Corolla...Again,had it a few years and,never broke down and cost me next to nothing.

The Cavelier isnt a bad shout actually (and would come in waaay under the 2000 budget).

If you can get a diesel with an Isuzu engine, they really are bullet proof - if you read any of the Vauxhall forums, most people on there sing the Cavaliers praises - especially compared to the Vectra.

My 1998 diesel Fiesta has gone around the clock, the speedo says 48,200 miles, but its actually done 148,200 miles.

I hope it lasts a lot longer, I like it, the only thing I would change is it doesn't have central locking & electric windows etc. Oh, and I'd get it in turbo diesel next time.

I've just spent about £200 getting a new exhaust (middle and back part) and having it serviced, seen as it hadn't been done since 70,000 miles.

I've just spent about £200 getting a new exhaust (middle and back part) and having it serviced, seen as it hadn't been done since 70,000 miles.

That's what I like to hear :-) I don't know if my dad ever got his car serviced - it didn't seem to matter so much when cars were slower and only mustering 40bhp per litre :-)

So here's the deal.

You have £2,000 to spend on a car. Any car you like, as long as it meets this criteria:

Current mileage doesn't matter, but it has to look tidy

It has to be reliable enough to do 12,000 miles per year

It has to have room for 4 adults inside

It has to be comfortable

It has to be a hatchback or an estate

It has to be reasonably economical

It has to be reasonably quick, not a wheezy old bus that takes a week to get to 60 and won't go over 50 uphill!

It has to have at least two years (24k miles) left in it, probably more

If it does go wrong it has to be fairly cheap and easy to repair

What would you get?

It's just a question for discussion, but it makes me sad that lots of perfectly serviceable cars have been crushed just to support car manufacturers over-capacity. Modern cars that have been serviced seem to go on forever, and don't rust away like they used to, and surely using them is 'greener' than buying a new one, even if they do a few less mpg?

that would get you my puegot 406 hdi 45mpg quick off the mark and tidy

Other way round. Diesels will outlive petrols and generally be cheaper to run

not when the diesel pump fails and presents you with a huge bill. have a look how many non runners are on ebay because they cost too much to fix. You'll see they're almost all diesels.

You are out of touch with FIATs made in the last 6 or so years.

You're right, it has been more than 6 years since I have had to work on them and i'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I still don't hear good things and this is what Whatcar? has to say about the Stilo...

For The Stilo is a roomy car at rock-bottom prices

Against It has no image and is dull to drive

Verdict Rivals do it all so much better

Go for… 1.2 Activ

Avoid… 2.4 Abarth

1.Watch that the car tracks correctly, because Stilos can pull to one side and wear their tyres unevenly.

2.Gearbox failures are the most expensive of the car's (several) known problems.

3. Go for the five-door model because it rides more smoothly, as well as being roomier and much more practical.

4. Head gaskets can blow on 1.2 petrol engines, particularly if coolant changes are left longer than the recommended three years.

5. Water can leak into the boot, but it's hard to work out where it's coming from and to fix the problem.

Archived