Cars that go on forever

not when the diesel pump fails and presents you with a huge bill. have a look how many non runners are on ebay because they cost too much to fix. You'll see they're almost all diesels.

Really? How many petrol engined (especially under 1800cc) cars do you see with over 200000 miles on the clock then? :huh:

not when the diesel pump fails and presents you with a huge bill. have a look how many non runners are on ebay because they cost too much to fix. You'll see they're almost all diesels.

a new turbo isn't cheap either - but then things can go wrong on any car. You hear tales of turbos exploding, but I never know it that's due to lack of care, or if they should last as long as the engine?

Really? How many petrol engined (especially under 1800cc) cars do you see with over 200000 miles on the clock then? :huh:

A modern petrol engine is easily capable of that kind of mileage. I remember reading somewhere about a mechanic stripping Zetec engines down before fitting them into other cars - possibly old Lotus Elan's.

Anyway, I remember it saying that the wear on a well looked after Zetec up to 150,000 miles was well within factory tolerance for a new engine.

• 1 month later...

Mazda 323 :D We had a little L reg hatchback one a few years ago, a quirky looking thing, not one of the fastback versions, it only cost us £280, had done 48500 miles on the clock and was a great little runner and lasted us over 3 1/2 years. I was gutted when she finally gave up the ghost :(

I had a friend at University whose Gran gave her a Mazda 323 when she gave up driving. It was 'C' reg I think so it must have been 8 or 9 years old then. She sold it a few years later, and she still sees it around where she lives - it's now nearly 25 years old.

I'm currently driving a Ford Puma 1.7i Zetec-s engine, it has 104000 on the clock, still runs like a dream.

Currently looking for the exact car in the OP's description, I travel to Mansfield from north Sheff every day and is costing me a fortune in petrol! Been looking at 02 Vectra's and Mondeo's, preferably the 1.9 TDi...Has anyone had any dealing with these cars? Give me any common faults etc?

Scoob Impreza (estate) or Legacy (estate), non-turbo models. As old as a '99 model with around 100kmiles (history must be comprehensive faultless) wouldn't scare me away, and will be yours for well below your budget.

Built like panzers (looks a bit like, too :hihi:), they defined car reliability in the late 90s/early 00s and still pretty much do, and will just go on and on and on and on and on...

A bit thirsty on petrol, though not much more than same-size/same-engine other makes when driven normally/sensibly.

I'd go with that recommendation. Had Impreza & Legacy. Ready for a change but can't seem to look away from Subaru. Other manufacturers seem to be made too much from Blue Peter style construction!!! :hihi::hihi:

Only weak point seems to be shock absorbers as the roads knock the crap out of them & they are oil / gas charged. Avoid the before 2000 year 2.5 litre as it blows head gaskets. Stick with the 2.0 non turbo & it is very very good!!!!!

I'm currently driving a Ford Puma 1.7i Zetec-s engine, it has 104000 on the clock, still runs like a dream.

Currently looking for the exact car in the OP's description, I travel to Mansfield from north Sheff every day and is costing me a fortune in petrol! Been looking at 02 Vectra's and Mondeo's, preferably the 1.9 TDi...Has anyone had any dealing with these cars? Give me any common faults etc?

What goes wrong with Vectras - link

What goes wrong with Mondeos - link

I've been pondering a Saab 9-3 2.2 diesel, or a Fiat Multipla JTD

Archived