Cars that go on forever

I'm currently driving a Ford Puma 1.7i Zetec-s engine, it has 104000 on the clock, still runs like a dream.

Currently looking for the exact car in the OP's description, I travel to Mansfield from north Sheff every day and is costing me a fortune in petrol! Been looking at 02 Vectra's and Mondeo's, preferably the 1.9 TDi...Has anyone had any dealing with these cars? Give me any common faults etc?

You need to be careful with these new high power Turbo Diesels. Do your homework to make sure you get the right model with regard to reliability. Some of the BMW / SAAB / Vauxhall use a butterfly / swirler valve assembly that can break! They won't just sell the relevant spares to repair, & the whole manifold needs replacement at a cost of nearly £800. Then there are the dual mass flywheels that are a liability with a cost of about £1000 to replace. Like i said research carefullly!!!!

The Cavelier isnt a bad shout actually (and would come in waaay under the 2000 budget).

If you can get a diesel with an Isuzu engine, they really are bullet proof - if you read any of the Vauxhall forums, most people on there sing the Cavaliers praises - especially compared to the Vectra.

More credit to Subaru mechanicals!!! Isuzu & Subaru are built by Fuji Heavy Industries....same company.

You need to be careful with these new high power Turbo Diesels. Do your homework to make sure you get the right model with regard to reliability. Some of the BMW / SAAB / Vauxhall use a butterfly / swirler valve assembly that can break! They won't just sell the relevant spares to repair, & the whole manifold needs replacement at a cost of nearly £800. Then there are the dual mass flywheels that are a liability with a cost of about £1000 to replace. Like i said research carefullly!!!!

The Saab / Vauxhall engines are largely the same AFAIK. I think the DMF issues are also common to a lot of manufacturers - basically a modern turbo-diesel creates so much torque that the DMF is needed to get the drivetrain smooth enough, but they are expensive parts to replace.

The Saab / Vauxhall engines are largely the same AFAIK. I think the DMF issues are also common to a lot of manufacturers - basically a modern turbo-diesel creates so much torque that the DMF is needed to get the drivetrain smooth enough, but they are expensive parts to replace.

Forgot to say Vauxhall / Saab are also suffering a high rate of failures in their coil springs. I've been told (but unconfirmed) that the parts are now made in china & the plastic coating / paint protection on the springs is not up to scratch allowing pin hole corrosion & ultimately failure.

Not something I'd like to think about....a coil spring snapping at 70mph & flying through your tyre, locking that wheel up... whilst the other 3 spin!

Like the pun!!!:hihi::hihi:

You seem to know your stuff about these things Bedders, would you say that the previously poorly regarded motors like Fiat & Alfa are seriously worth considering if only because the 'premium' brands are no longer made the way they used to be?

Archived