Cars that go on forever

You seem to know your stuff about these things Bedders, would you say that the previously poorly regarded motors like Fiat & Alfa are seriously worth considering if only because the 'premium' brands are no longer made the way they used to be?

I had a high mileage Alfa diesel, and although I sold it because it needed some expensive repairs it had taken dogs abuse from me for years and 110,000 miles (140,000 miles total)

Mechanically - by which I mean the engine and gearbox - it was faultless. It broke down once (part fitted incorrectly at service) and failed to start once (I had triggered the fuel cut out by putting the passenger seat back really quickly - just had to press a button to reset) It also had a starting problem when the camshaft sensor failed. That cost £20 + VAT to fix.

However, it used to munch suspension bushes for breakfast - you had to replace pretty much every bush every 60,000 miles. And in the end the electronics started to play up (rear light wouldn't turn off due to a circuit on the back of the rev counter burning out - common fault) as well - so given that it needed a new sump (my fault), new suspension bushes (it was a 'sporty' car with high mileage I suppose), new tachometer (stupid design) and it was on the original clutch (£300 min replacement - not a bad lifetime though given it had 228lb/ft torque) and original turbo I thought I'd get rid before it cost me serious money, as it wasn't quite big enough for me anyway (saloon with non-folding seats).

I reckon if I still had it it'd be still plugging away at 41mpg like it always did though. The scappage scheme seems to have bumped up the prices of second hand cars a bit though - the cars on Autotrader like mine seem to be more expensive, and it's been 18 months since I sold mine.

The same technology as is in the Fiat group JTD engines is also used in Vauxhall and Saab engines AFAIK - GM owned a stake in the development.

You seem to know your stuff about these things Bedders, would you say that the previously poorly regarded motors like Fiat & Alfa are seriously worth considering if only because the 'premium' brands are no longer made the way they used to be?

I've always 'loved' Fiats / Alfas (& Lancias but sadly not anymore in this country). Never had one, but always wanted one. Just but been afraid of the reliability. I really don't think you can consider yourself appreciative of cars unless you've had an Italian car....& yes I am talking about myself here as well. They have a sort of flair / style & quirkyness about them.

Lets be honest-there is no perfect car & like you say (Premium brands no longer made the way they used to be) if brands like Toyota can go from 'Hero' to 'Zero'-so to speak- it makes you wonder where to put your money.

As far as i can tell stuff like Puntos tend to struggle with head gasket failure & sometimes even if serviced to the letter, can still go wrong.

Certain Alfas can have problems with cam-timing belts and their tensioners. All Italian cars need to be treat like a good woman. Lots of TLC.

To be honest & answer you question BF all cars rely on good quality servicing done to the schedule. When this is disregarded then problems can happen.

The fact the Alfa have recently employed the guy from BMW to sort out the niggles in reliability says they are taking it serious & want to be considered a quality marque.

Alfas & Fiats seem to offer very good value at the side of other premium brands, but what you may save in purchase cost you could spend in maintenance to make sure it doesn't go wrong on you?

Hope this answers you question....but probably not....as myself being the case in question, I don't know if I should take the plunge on something Italian myself!

I had a high mileage Alfa diesel, and although I sold it because it needed some expensive repairs it had taken dogs abuse from me for years and 110,000 miles (140,000 miles total)

Mechanically - by which I mean the engine and gearbox - it was faultless. It broke down once (part fitted incorrectly at service) and failed to start once (I had triggered the fuel cut out by putting the passenger seat back really quickly - just had to press a button to reset) It also had a starting problem when the camshaft sensor failed. That cost £20 + VAT to fix.

However, it used to munch suspension bushes for breakfast - you had to replace pretty much every bush every 60,000 miles. And in the end the electronics started to play up (rear light wouldn't turn off due to a circuit on the back of the rev counter burning out - common fault) as well - so given that it needed a new sump (my fault), new suspension bushes (it was a 'sporty' car with high mileage I suppose), new tachometer (stupid design) and it was on the original clutch (£300 min replacement - not a bad lifetime though given it had 228lb/ft torque) and original turbo I thought I'd get rid before it cost me serious money, as it wasn't quite big enough for me anyway (saloon with non-folding seats).

I reckon if I still had it it'd be still plugging away at 41mpg like it always did though. The scappage scheme seems to have bumped up the prices of second hand cars a bit though - the cars on Autotrader like mine seem to be more expensive, and it's been 18 months since I sold mine.

The same technology as is in the Fiat group JTD engines is also used in Vauxhall and Saab engines AFAIK - GM owned a stake in the development.

Thanks for that, I had a 166 petrol a few years ago, completely trouble free, apart from the bush problem you mention that was the cause of an ominous clicking from under the bonnet whilst driving. Terrible fuel consumption but a great looking/driving motor, and I was surprised to never encounter the problems that the journalists loved to vilify Alfas for and the bad press has certainly put me off buying one since.

I've always 'loved' Fiats / Alfas (& Lancias but sadly not anymore in this country). Never had one, but always wanted one. Just but been afraid of the reliability. I really don't think you can consider yourself appreciative of cars unless you've had an Italian car....& yes I am talking about myself here as well. They have a sort of flair / style & quirkyness about them.

Lets be honest-there is no perfect car & like you say (Premium brands no longer made the way they used to be) if brands like Toyota can go from 'Hero' to 'Zero'-so to speak- it makes you wonder where to put your money.

As far as i can tell stuff like Puntos tend to struggle with head gasket failure & sometimes even if serviced to the letter, can still go wrong.

Certain Alfas can have problems with cam-timing belts and their tensioners. All Italian cars need to be treat like a good woman. Looks of TLC.

To be honest & answer you question BF all cars rely on good quality servicing done to the schedule. When this is disregarded then problems can happen.

The fact the Alfa have recently employed the guy from BMW to sort out the niggles in reliability says they are taking it serious & want to be considered a quality marque.

Alfas & Fiats seem to offer very good value at the side of other premium brands, but what you may save in purchase cost you could spend in maintenance to make sure it doesn't go wrong on you?

Thanks Bedders, Im just looking to change and keep being drawn to that bloody Alfa range, but sense reigns me in..yet I know much of it is just down to prejuduce and believing the bad press Italian cars had in the 70's/80's that they cant shake off.

Talking of Lancias, my uncle had a Brevia (ps..I think it was the Beta) he loved it-was that the low slung 2 door coupe? Looked great, but I think was only a 1.3, not so great) and you cant forget their Golf GTI toasting hatchback, the Integrale...that was a motor!

Certain Alfas can have problems with cam-timing belts and their tensioners. All Italian cars need to be treat like a good woman. Looks of TLC.

Whilst this is true, it's true of all cars I reckon. I skipped three consecutive services on my Alfa - didn't even get the oil changed - and although the service when it did come was expensive (£900 as I recall) the car didn't seem to suffer any ill-effects. For a fair bit of those 36,000 unserviced miles it had the mass air flow meter unplugged too as I was too brassic to replace it, and it ran better without it.

Never missed a timing belt change though - that's an engine wrecking failure - another one being due was another reason to sell it when I did.

Thanks Bedders, Im just looking to change and keep being drawn to that bloody Alfa range, but sense reigns me in..yet I know much of it is just down to prejuduce and believing the bad press Italian cars had in the 70's/80's that they cant shake off.

I know what you mean. I had a brief look at the GT (not quite big enough or cheap enough for me though) - and although I've owned a car with basically the same front end (156, 147 and GT are much the same underneath) and even the same bloomin' engine (albeit mine was the 5 cylinder 2.4 version of the diesel) and I know for a fact that it was reliable and economical, I still read the reports and though 'hmm - that sounds like it might be a living nightmare to own'

Talking of Lancias, my uncle had a Brevia (ps..I think it was the Beta) he loved it-was that the low slung 2 door coupe? Looked great, but I think was only a 1.3, not so great) and you cant forget their Golf GTI toasting hatchback, the Integrale...that was a motor!

Yes please any of those would do!!!

If all else fails a Fiat Strada Abarth 130TC- that was some motor!!! 0-60 in 7.8 & 121 mph not bad for 1982

we have a toyota avensis estate had it since 2003 hubby uses it for work everyday he averages 25000 miles a year gone through test every year no probs this year was 1st time it failed cost us £250 to get it through would recommend these cars ours is a V reg

Yes please any of those would do!!!

If all else fails a Fiat Strada Abarth 130TC- that was some motor!!! 0-60 in 7.8 & 121 mph not bad for 1982

Very true do you remember the advertising for it-'a wolf in sheep's clothing' Couldnt believe a saloon could be so fast until the MG Montego arrived..I bet you could get one of those for £2k now.

Now dont laugh but I couldn't fit in its successor the Stilo Abarth when I went to look at one in Autoworld, the seats are so bolstered at the side, I couldnt wedge my arse in..I'll not be going there again! :blush:

Ps: Im wrong again, the Mirafiori was a wolf in sheeps clothing, the strada was the one 'handbuilt by robots'

Archived