Pub to watch Sky Sports News

R.Majewski

Like many of you, I enjoy nothing more than a couple of beers watching Jeff read out the football results on Sky Sports News on a Saturday afternoon.

However, I'm still searching for the perfect pub to do this in, and I need some help. I'll give a list of requirements for said drinking establishment and hopefully someone could offer me some assistance.

Required:

1. Sky Sports News

2. Real Ale

3. A proper pub, not the Common Room (shudder)

4. Maybe a choice of papers to looks at whilst comtemplating bets.

5. No riffraff, I like to discuss important matters whilst watching the game - loud riff raff may break my concentration when deciding on who would win in a fight between a badger and a tapir -(it's the tapir by the way)

6. Jeff volume - desirable but not essential

Can anyone suggest anywhere that might suit?

preferably in the Town/Hillsborough/Walkley/Kelham Island/Crookes/Broomhill neck of the woods?

Thanks in advance

R.Majewski

I think I can offer an almost suitable suggestion; The Byron House is in Nether Edge, so fails on your geography requirement, but it has a few real ales (moonshine is on at the moment). I can't vouch for whether they are any good as they aren't my thing, but the guinness is lovely. There is perpetual sky sports news, and normally with Jeff-noise on a Saturday afternoon. You'll have to buy your own papers, but it is a generally riff-raff free zone on Saturday afternoons, although that does depend on what the early kick off match has been. It was packed to the gills with riff-raff the other week cos of the merseyside derby, but usually its fairly quiet. I would put money on there being someone in there who would enter the badger-tapir debate with much gusto, albeit possibly with little supporting evidence.

All of the above relates to the larger room on the left hand side of the pub. There is a smaller room on the right but its frankly a different world. I think they burn wicker men.

Thank you for your kind reply. This Byron House sounds a wonderous place, moonshine is a particular favourite of mine. I've never had the opportunity to combine Jeff and Moonshine - (few have), I daresay they will go together like jelly and rabbit moulds.

Alas, on the Saturday in question the location is key - a trip to Meadowhall (don't ask) is on the card for a vital mission, so Nether Edge could be a bus journey too far. I will however remember the Byron House for such days when time is not an issue.

So it's back to the drawing board/Trippets (no real ale).

It appears there is a glaring gap in the market here for a young landlord full of dreams and ideas, who could make approximately £12 every so often out of me if they were to supply me with Sky Sports News and real ale, somewhere near the tramroute.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? :heyhey:

The Red Lion on Charles Street in town covers all your needs, or if you're in Broomhill you could try the Fox & Duck. The only problem at this time of year is that you might get some braying ex-public schoolboy wanting to put the 6 Nations rugby on instead.

I do love the Red Lion, I do tend to go in there a little too much though. I'll put both on the list - thanks

Rugby?! What ever next? Tennis?

So we have

Definitive list of pubs with real ale and sky sports news and are riff raff free:

-Red Lion

-Trippets

-Fox and Duck

-The Byron House

Trippets sounds kind of similar to what you are after. I don't know about real ale but it does have quite a "non townie" feel to it, and although it isn't advertised there is a big screen with sports on it.

the beehive dykes hall road n theres a bookies across the road £2 a pint anall on selected beers

Archived