New York Hotel Recommendations - on a shoe string!

For those of you that have visited New York, does anyone have any recommendations for hotels that are on the cheap side, but still clean and safe?

We are going for 4 days as part of a bigger trip to america and are on a shoe string so only see the hotel as somewhere to sleep at night. It doesnt have to have any s****y facilities but as a first time trip to america full stop I have no idea of the best areas to stay/avoid.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks x

Go on a site like ebookers.com and look for hotels that fit your requirements. Then make sure you read the reviews on the site and also on other sites for the same hotel (an easy task by typing the name of the hotels into google and adding 'review').

My advice is to avoid the Howard Johnson chain, and they tend to be awful, especially around New York. If you are travelling by car then I would advice staying in somewhere like New Jersey or Queens and getting the bus or driving in and parking in one of the many, many, parking garages on Manhattan.

Does anyone think its possible to do New York on a budget?

I have heard it's expensive; and you are expected to tip people .. like throwing confetti around. :huh:

You can do it.. just have to do some research. Dont eat in the touristy areas (times square, etc) and try to eat in local places. Watch for places that include gratuity. You can google for coupons/vouchers before you leave. Maybe get 2 for 1s before a certian time or free starters.

Tipping is expected if you take a cab (a couple of dollars or so) or have dinner (it averages between 15 to 25%) at a restuarant. If you have someone take your luggage to your room, room service or take out delivered, tip at least 10% or double the sales tax (8%).

Archived