Would YOU vote for an independent MP or Councillor?

Tony

Would you vote independant?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote independant?

• Yes
    • No

Locally we cant make the big changes we need to society. They are a great starting block though.

Its the breaking up of the big 3 parties, or them understanding we want transparency and democracy going forward. This is what i would hope for from my proposal.

I would think they already know that the electorate want transparency and why many people don’t vote, it’s probably just not in their best interests to be honest and transparent. :suspect:

I would think they already know that the electorate want transparency and why many people don’t vote, it’s probably just not in their best interests to be honest and transparent. :suspect:

Which is one of the many reasons why we should look at putting up our own independent candidates. :)

Which is one of the many reasons why we should look at putting up our own independent candidates. :)

How do you go about finding lots of people, with no party affiliations, that lots of people know and trust, that also want to be MP’s or councillors? Then if the government was made up of independents how would they ever reach any decisions? And when they do reach a decision, it still won’t suit everyone.

It’s a bit of a conundrum isn’t it? :)

I would vote for an independent if he/she had something radical and different to vote for. I do not want more of the same wrapped up in different coloured paper.

If someone stood for example to ban inheritance and thus introduce equality , they would get my vote.:)

How do you go about finding lots of people, with no party affiliations, that lots of people know and trust, that also want to be MP’s or councillors? Then if the government was made up of independents how would they ever reach any decisions? And when they do reach a decision, it still won’t suit everyone.

Not a conundrum at all really.

In Sheffield we need 4 such people, for Sheffield North/South/East/West under the new boundary rules.

If, we were to get sufficient media coverage on the fact that our candidate was completely independent, and his/her votes in the House of Commons were based on what his/her electorate wanted (the majority), it wouldnt take too long for the other parties or even people in other areas, looking at this proposal in their area.

Id wager a pint that more people are peeved with our present government lack of sticking to their manifestos when they stood for Parliament, then they are happy with it.

Lets take the EU referendum. 9 out of 10 people want it, but the 3 big parties keep continually moving the goalposts. Only a handful of the MPs in Govt voted for us to have it, and those were the ones like Zac Goldsmith who listened to his electorate and NOT his party whips.

Yeah but under greens system, it would be fairly easy. These independent mps would be voting machines bending to the absolute will of the largly, if we are being honest, ignorant electorate. Pick a name out of hat. Their views aren't important, their experience, their take on events after wading through reams of committee minutes, they will be told how to vote.

Might as well pick big John at breakfast of the radio !

Yeah but under greens system, it would be fairly easy. These independent mps would be voting machines bending to the absolute will of the largly, if we are being honest, ignorant electorate. Pick a name out of hat. Their views aren't important, their experience, their take on events after wading through reams of committee minutes, they will be told how to vote.

So the only criteria for the candidate would be that they can be trusted to do as they say and enough voters have faith that they will do as they say. Finding such a person doesn’t sound like an easy task to me. :)

I think the candidates need to want transparency and democracy and change in our systems. They need to research and give both sides of the debate to their electorate and then both the electorate and themselves can add comments similar to here, on the particular bill.

Most people wont bother, some people will from time to time depending on what is going on in Parliament, and some people will be addicted to it. Either way, the MP in question is doing what his electorate wants. A clever candidate will try to ensure more of his electorate gets involved, therefore ensuring he/she is working for the majority.

So the only criteria for the candidate would be that they can be trusted to do as they say and enough voters have faith that they will do as they say. Finding such a person doesn’t sound like an easy task to me. :)

There are surely 4 such people in the entire of Sheffield :) Lets not do ourselves a disservice and think this isnt achievable.

There are surely 4 such people in the entire of Sheffield :) Lets not do ourselves a disservice and think this isnt achievable.

I can think of four people that I would trust, but you don't know them, so you would have no reason to trust them. The problem would be finding four people that are trusted by thousands of other people.

Archived