Sheffield Bands - Elfin

I left Sheffield several years ago and while cleaning through some old stuff the other night I found some old tapes by the band Elfin. I used to hang out with these guys a fair bit in the dim, dark past of my teens (they were friends with some of my friends from college), and always thought they were the nicest gents out there. Damn, they were a sensational band too... I'm currently trying to wear the old tapes out listening to them again. I remember tracking round to all kinds of pubs to hear them play, and always having a great time :)

These guys were one of the first live bands I ever saw. They really deserved to make it, considering all the time they spent playing here, there and everywhere (and every single Devonshire Green Festival). Does anyone know what happened to them?

MK

• 3 months later...

Blimey!

Just thought I'd have a poke around on line to see whether there was still any record of Elfin ever existing and it seems you guys still have the tapes. Nice work!

Elfin folded in about 2002 (I seem to remember) after various attempts to try new angles and ideas came to nothing. Was a great time while we were still going though. There were some top stories from that tour bus. Just sat listening to Distillation now, feeling all nostalgic...

As far as what we got up to, Daren (vocals/guitar) is still writing stuff in Sheffield, Dan (guitar) is writing his own stuff in Sheffield, Sean (bass) is a teacher in Manchester and in a band out there and I'm a photographer for The Times in London and still having pangs to get behind a kit again.

If anyone is wanting any elfin info or music, get in touch through my website leonneal.com and I'll sort you some out. At the moment, it's sat not being heard and I'd be happier knowing people were listening to it again!

Cheers for listening,

Leon

PS Everyone should praise Neeeeeeeeeek as he is a legend on all counts.

i see theres an elfin photo in the archive on your site, the band in a bubble thing with the barbed wire ........i remember the front guy, used to know him (Daren?)

im interested in some elfin stuff, as i said ive got one tape but i cant remember which one cos its in a box under a large pile of crap :P

Yep, that's Daren in there. Shot was taken just around the corner from Stonehenge, I seem to remember.

Send me a mail with your address on and I'll send you a few tracks. Don't suppose you can remember any track names of the music you had can you?

Cheers,

Leon

found it, wasnt too far under the pile (records, cds, tapes etc behind a screen in the bedroom:P)

Its called Listen and grin

1. DNA

2. Home

3. Mystery machine

4. Void

:)

*looks what other demo tapes are in the box*

rituals of the macabre

3 muzzle club

1 bendy monsters

media premonition - the nitro kareoke ep

4 blind mole rat

food - toxin, threads, lull, swing, flux, intent

those are the sheffield related ones then theres the folky, reggae, punky other tapes AOS3, citizen fish, dubmerge, sam and james, spithead, the beyond etc

love to get em all onto cd :)

might do one day

Archived