Iconic Hillsboro shop

bullerboY

I went down Hillsboro today and was dismayed when I saw Harry Slacks furniture shop closed.I bought some great solid oak furniture from there in 1970 and still got all of it,real quality stuff,Icould'nt afford it but old Harry gave me a payment book and said pay me what you can when you can,no chance of that these days!Anyone else bought furniture from him?

I went down Hillsboro today and was dismayed when I saw Harry Slacks furniture shop closed.I bought some great solid oak furniture from there in 1970 and still got all of it,real quality stuff,Icould'nt afford it but old Harry gave me a payment book and said pay me what you can when you can,no chance of that these days!Anyone else bought furniture from him?

Hi bullerboY - I think I mentioned this on an 'Hillsboro' thread some months ago, where I was wanting to know if they were still around, as I had purchased furniture from them eons ago? The answer being at that time, they were, and still being run by relatives. *** I remember Harry Slack and his son, they were really nice people, if you did'nt want to travel across town to Ponsfords, (and not too many people had cars in the era that i'm talking about) you could get good quality stuff from there, 'G-plan' an 'Stag' furniture comes to mind.

Hi fleetwod,Stuart,Harrys son has retired and I dont think his lad is too keen.All my stuff was Webber who are still in bussiness and Jarman and Platt who are not,Yeh we had carpets curtains and beds,it was a proper family firm,like all top quality shops they are all going,mores the pity!

Archived