Black Police Association

Riche

But once again from the NBPA website, and constitution:

The definition of "Black" does not refer to skin colour.

The emphasis is on the common experience and determination of the people of African, African-Caribbean and Asian origin to oppose the effects of racism.

:hihi: I like that, its like the BNP saying..The definition of "White" does not refer to skin colour.

The emphasis is on the common experience and determination of the people of English, Scottish and Welsh origin to oppose the effects of multiculturalism.[/i] :hihi:

Of course "Black" is a reference to skin colour lol

its set up to address extra issues that minority police officers face (which white police officers dont have to face)

its commonly known that the police is institutionaly racist (oh damn i mentioned the R word)

i believe white members are free to join as long as they agree with the reasons why the bpoa is there

as for the mobo awards ...........tbh i think theres no need for these as almost ALL music is derived from black music. but again white people are nominated and DO win..........its got nothing to do with black people only

Oh so they can join so long as they agree with everything that is said.

Oh so they can join so long as they agree with everything that is said.

like you join a group of people you dont agree with??

now you ARE talking out of your arse

who joins the liberals, tories, labour without agreeing with their policies?

who does a course at college about say plumbing cos you prefer electronics?

you join a group or association cos you share the aspirations of the group

i wont join the AA or RAC cos i dont have a car or drive, but in YOUR WORLD i should?

No I can't since Im not a black police officer and don't know specifically what issues they encounter that white officers don't. If I offered an opinion it would be based on assumptions.

Protection, in what respect? It has no legal status, it's a trade association, the rules of the service that apply to white officers, apply to black ones in the same way.

Incidentally, did you see my point about other organisations set up to promote the interests of certain groups?

I could ask the same question that you ask me about the Women's Institute, the British ex pat organisations that exist abroad etc, we all know that certain groups are under represented, the fact that they would choose to affiliate so their views and concerns are aggregated and form a common voice isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

In the Caribbean there are a myriad of ex-pat and colonial societies, the black folks dont bat an eyelid about their existence and enjoy the hospitality at the events put on by these organisations.

The Womens institute has taken male members for a good few years now.Also there may be many ex-pat organisations abroad but their views on most occasions are ignored,not like here.

:hihi: I like that, its like the BNP saying..The definition of "White" does not refer to skin colour.

The emphasis is on the common experience and determination of the people of English, Scottish and Welsh origin to oppose the effects of multiculturalism.[/i] :hihi:

..and that is more or less what the BNP are saying, that isn't what's created the problem for them, its the exclusive nature of their membership.

Of course "Black" is a reference to skin colour lol

Only notionally, for example non Irish are not excluded from playing rugby for London Irish, women are not excluded from the YMCA, men can become midwives.

Ps: and men can apparently join the WI!

The Womens institute has taken male members for a good few years now.Also there may be many ex-pat organisations abroad but their views on most occasions are ignored,not like here.

The Womens institute has taken male members for a good few years now.
I actually had a good look on their website before I posted and couldn't see that they accepted applications from men, but Im happy to stand corrected.

But it takes us back to the original point, the BPA do allow white members, just as the WI admits male ones, if you believe in the principles of the WI yet they admit males, shouldn't the same view apply to the BPA?

Also there may be many ex-pat organisations abroad but their views on most occasions are ignored,not like here.

That's simply not the case Kidorry, ex-pat organisations are very effective in acting as a single voice for ex pats living abroad. Ive seen how effective this is in places like France & Spain where Brits often dont speak the native language. In the former colonies the views of British interest associations are often pre eminent to the native ones.

Just as an aside, have a look at this link, for the United Anglo-Caribbean Society, set up by West Indians to promote harmony and understanding between indigenous British people and West Indians in this country.

http://www.uacs.org.uk/about.asp

I actually had a good look on their website before I posted and couldn't see that they accepted applications from men, but Im happy to stand corrected.

But it takes us back to the original point, the BPA do allow white members, just as the WI admits male ones, if you believe in the principles of the WI yet they admit males, shouldn't the same view apply to the BPA?

That's simply not the case Kidorry, ex-pat organisations are very effective in acting as a single voice for ex pats living abroad. Ive seen how effective this is in places like France & Spain where Brits often dont speak the native language. In the former colonies the views of British interest associations are often pre eminent to the native ones.

Just as an aside, have a look at this link, for the United Anglo-Caribbean Society, set up by West Indians to promote harmony and understanding between indigenous British people and West Indians in this country.

http://www.uacs.org.uk/about.asp

I must disagree with you on the 2 countries you have mentioned because I have friends living in both of those countries and believe me it is not as rosy as you seem to suggest.If it was as you stated why are so many ex-pats returning.I know the Anglo Caribbean society has been set up to promote harmony between the races but does it?I have seen no evidence of this in day to day life.In fact I think it has got worse over the last few years.

I must disagree with you on the 2 countries you have mentioned because I have friends living in both of those countries and believe me it is not as rosy as you seem to suggest.
I didnt say it was rosy, I said British expats were generally well represented abroad, and nobody complains about them having their own associations as a minority group, it's also something I have some experience of.

If it was as you stated why are so many ex-pats returning.

Because that's what expats do. Many immigrants that came to work here in the 50's & 60's returned to their home countries years ago, and I know many Brits return here after working/living abroad. But really what does that have to do with associations set up to represent minority interests whether here or abroad?

I know the Anglo Caribbean society has been set up to promote harmony between the races but does it?I have seen no evidence of this in day to day life.In fact I think it has got worse over the last few years.

Im not really commenting on the effectiveness or otherwise of the Anglo Caribbean Society, Im simply mentioning an organisation set up by non whites that allows white membership, with the intention of fostering understanding.

Archived