Black Police Association

Riche

Glad it clears up the points I have made for you.

There is no need for a BPA with a specific reference to Black in the title which suggests that this association is primarily for the purpose of serving black people and I assume that it includes putting forward what the members believe to be discriminatory. This is my assumption because I do not know the ins and outs of the association or the purpose for its existance.

And again and again you point out to other associations within the police force without recognising that these do not use colour in their titles to suggest that they are primarily there for one colour. The police cycling association is there for all police who use cycles - regardless of skin colour. Same goes for the gay and the jew and all the others.

If people want to integrate then the way of doing so is not to have colour as part of their title which immediately sets them apart in my opinion.

And I have also noticed that as soon as anyone mentions colour the anti-racist brigade starts, regardless of whether there was any racist intent on part of the poster.

Being part of a minority group MIGHT have nothing to do with problems associated with being in the minority - but then again it probably does.

My reference to the law and the BPA is that the BPA should not be needed if everyone treated the law and enforcement of the law in the same way, regardless of colour. My problem is not with the association existing, but the fact that it has, for whatever reason, done what none of the others appear to have done which is play on colour.

And my racist beliefs are probably going to be classed as something completely different by everyone else. I have quite a few none-white friends.

There is no need for a BPA with a specific reference to Black in the title which suggests that this association is primarily for the purpose of serving black people and I assume that it includes putting forward what the members believe to be discriminatory. This is my assumption because I do not know the ins and outs of the association or the purpose for its existance.
You're probably right in all those assumptions, but I'm sure you're well aware of the historical development of minority groups-women, disabled, blacks, gays?

One hundred years ago, we would be discussing the merits or otherwise of allowing women the vote, disabled people would not have had the same opportunities they have now, nor blacks.

Things are a lot better, but the majority of power and influence in this country is held by white, middle class, able bodied, straight men. Nobody's suggesting they have a vexatious agenda against people not like them, but they simply cannot be expected to understand the specific needs/concerns of the people within their organisations that they manage.

On a lighter note, I'm sure the black police officers association discuss many things unconnected with policing and race at their meetings, after all, just because this is called the Sheffield Forum doesn't mean we all have to discuss Sheffield or even come from or live here.

Since this thread started Ive asked a couple of mates of mine who are bobbies (both white) about the BPA, they dont have a problem with it and understand the discrete issues that affect their black colleagues and those who are members of other minorities within the police force.

And again and again you point out to other associations within the police force without recognising that these do not use colour in their titles to suggest that they are primarily there for one colour.

..and again, and again Ive pointed to the reasons why that's necessary.

The police cycling association is there for all police who use cycles - regardless of skin colour.

But ostensibly it's not there for officers who don't use cycles.

Same goes for the gay and the jew and all the others.

You'd be unlikely to find straight officers joining the gay association or a Muslim, joining the Jewish one. The Black Association exists to support black officers because their skin colour is something that makes them different, whether they're bike riding, Jewish, Muslim or gay!

If people want to integrate then the way of doing so is not to have colour as part of their title which immediately sets them apart in my opinion.

Titles mean bugger all, it's time to get over it, it's how people behave and what they say that's important.

And I have also noticed that as soon as anyone mentions colour the anti-racist brigade starts, regardless of whether there was any racist intent on part of the poster.

Well their intervention would seem appropropriate, especially as you've admitted to be a racist (Ive no problem with that btw) but the OP was created based on a false assumption, as they usually are by people who start a thread with an 'anti' agenda. Incidentally, do you know what the intent of posters are, they might be racist they might not be, but either way they will be challenged if they make sensational statements.

Being part of a minority group MIGHT have nothing to do with problems associated with being in the minority - but then again it probably does.

Well unless you've ever been part of a minority you can't comment.

My reference to the law and the BPA is that the BPA should not be needed if everyone treated the law and enforcement of the law in the same way, regardless of colour.

I agree, with reference to anti discrimination, but sadly not everyone is treated fairly or do you believe otherwise? As I also mentioned, minority group associations wont solely be interested in discrimination, Im sure black officers get together to share common life experiences as well.

My problem is not with the association existing, but the fact that it has, for whatever reason, done what none of the others appear to have done which is play on colour.

It's not 'playing on colour', that makes it sound derisory, to some people the colour of their skin is very important to them, just as yours is to you, it's very patronising to tell people what they should or shouldn't like or be affiliated to and I'd include BNP members in that.

And my racist beliefs are probably going to be classed as something completely different by everyone else. I have quite a few none-white friends.

Well you called me a racist when you entered this thread, Ive never called you one, but I found it amusing nonetheless since there are more white people in my family than black ones.

Incidentally, do you talk to your black friends about their experiences of discrimination?

You're probably right in all those assumptions, but I'm sure you're well aware of the historical development of minority groups-women, disabled, blacks, gays?

One hundred years ago, we would be discussing the merits or otherwise of allowing women the vote, disabled people would not have had the same opportunities they have now, nor blacks.

Things are a lot better, but the majority of power and influence in this country is held by white, middle class, able bodied, straight men. Nobody's suggesting they have a vexatious agenda against people not like them, but they simply cannot be expected to understand the specific needs/concerns of the people within their organisations that they manage.

On a lighter note, I'm sure the black police officers association discuss many things unconnected with policing and race at their meetings, after all, just because this is called the Sheffield Forum doesn't mean we all have to discuss Sheffield or even come from or live here.

Since this thread started Ive asked a couple of mates of mine who are bobbies (both white) about the BPA, they dont have a problem with it and understand the discrete issues that affect their black colleagues and those who are members of other minorities within the police force.

..and again, and again Ive pointed to the reasons why that's necessary.

But ostensibly it's not there for officers who don't use cycles.

You'd be unlikely to find straight officers joining the gay association or a Muslim, joining the Jewish one. The Black Association exists to support black officers because their skin colour is something that makes them different, whether they're bike riding, Jewish, Muslim or gay!

Titles mean bugger all, it's time to get over it, it's how people behave and what they say that's important.

Well their intervention would seem appropropriate, especially as you've admitted to be a racist (Ive no problem with that btw) but the OP was created based on a false assumption, as they usually are by people who start a thread with an 'anti' agenda. Incidentally, do you know what the intent of posters are, they might be racist they might not be, but either way they will be challenged if they make sensational statements.

Well unless you've ever been part of a minority you can't comment.

I agree, with reference to anti discrimination, but sadly not everyone is treated fairly or do you believe otherwise? As I also mentioned, minority group associations wont solely be interested in discrimination, Im sure black officers get together to share common life experiences as well.

It's not 'playing on colour', that makes it sound derisory, to some people the colour of their skin is very important to them, just as yours is to you, it's very patronising to tell people what they should or shouldn't like or be affiliated to and I'd include BNP members in that.

Well you called me a racist when you entered this thread, Ive never called you one, but I found it amusing nonetheless since there are more white people in my family than black ones.

Incidentally, do you talk to your black friends about their experiences of discrimination?

well i never....my good mate BF....a rascist.....but what form of racing does tha hate....motor, bike or horse...:hihi::hihi::hihi:

well i never....my good mate BF....a rascist.....but what form of racing does tha hate....motor, bike or horse...:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Deffo hate the gee-gees, easty, Id be retired in bloody Monaco already if it hadn't been for them! Taking a liking to that Ski Cross mallarkey in the Winter Olympics now, have you seen those nutters? Not sure how to place a bet though :hihi:

Deffo hate the gee-gees, easty, Id be retired in bloody Monaco already if it hadn't been for them! Taking a liking to that Ski Cross mallarkey in the Winter Olympics now, have you seen those nutters? Not sure how to place a bet though :hihi:

does it really matter if we have a BPA......or a BNP in fact....life goes on....its £1.55 day in the birley today and it will be full to bursting....

we had a good sesh yesterday cos the footie was off...but we made all our black players...stand in the BPC....the black players corner.....:hihi::hihi: joke

does it really matter if we have a BPA......or a BNP in fact....life goes on
Totally agree fella, Im arguing with those who think it's ok to have one, but not the other.

....its £1.55 day in the birley today and it will be full to bursting....

we had a good sesh yesterday cos the footie was off...but we made all our black players...stand in the BPC....the black players corner.....:hihi::hihi: joke

:hihi: very good eastie, when I played rugby we had a move called "BMW", I thought it was because I purred silently like a six cylinder, but no, it meant 'Black Man Winger' (bar-stewards!)

No, I'm not saying that as I dont know what reasons exist for some black officers to want to have their own association anymore than I know why there's a need for a disabled police association.

The fact of the matter is membership of the BPA is not exclusive, if white officers want to join they can do, I dont know why they would, but the option is open to them.

Any anti white sentiment within that organisation would soon be discovered, but I doubt it exists to any degree, although Im sure there are racist black officers as there are white ones.

At last we agree on something.:hihi:

Totally agree fella, Im arguing with those who think it's ok to have one, but not the other.

:hihi: very good eastie, when I played rugby we had a move called "BMW", I thought it was because I purred silently like a six cylinder, but no, it meant 'Black Man Winger' (bar-stewards!)

tha played rugby...tried it once at school lost about 70-0 to westfield they had all the gear on and we played in football kit....my good mate got sent off for grabbing one by the throat...think it was a rather high tackle..and for good measure decked their teacher/referee....never played that again...

rugby and a blade it gets worse...:hihi::hihi:

Archived