Ten pin bowling at Intake

lynnielass

Barry Greenhall used to be a mechanic at CBC and a great left hand bowler. We saw him and became hooked on bowling. I believe the centre opened about 1960. Queens Rd had 30 lanes. I worked there as a pinspotter mid sixties. The lanes were damaged when ice melted from the ice rink above I believe.

I only went to Intake once bowling (I was a Firth Park bowler)No idea what happend but I was woken up by one of the staff at closing time early one saturday morning and had to ride home on my motorbike and then go to work two hours later-- still think that someone slipped me a micky finn!!

But what about the ski slope that was built behind it!

It must have been started sometime in the early 60's.

It was built on what used to be rough land that stretched between Birley Moor Road and Frecheville Senior school playing fields. An area that we called "the crags" and spent many hours playing there.

Access to the crags was down a little genel that ran between 2 houses off Longstone Crescent.

From our high point we had a view of the bowling alley under construction, then the bulldozers came to create a slope with a ramp at the bottom. This started from the bottom of the gardens of houses on Longstone Crescent and ran down to what is now Birley Vale Close (not built at the time).

Once the ground had been prepared it was abandoned.

I can remember sledging down there in winter.

Anyone else remember this.

Archived