The Working Poor - the new underclass?

It appears to me that we have a new class.

They are the working poor.

We have the have nots, the haves, and have lots. We also have the do not, do, and do lots.

The do lots yet have not, they are the working poor.

Only one group in society is worse off than them and that is the do not have nots, who neither claim nor work and live in poor households.

The working poor are often worse off financially than people who do not work but claim benefits.

They work all hours and struggle to make ends meet, they pay full rent, full council tax and have additional costs that the workshy don't such as transport and higher food bills. They are not entitled to health care like dentists and opticians. They have little free time. They sometimes like to think of themselves as middle class.

We have the have nots, the haves, and have lots. We also have the do not, do, and do lots.

Only one group in society is worse off than them and that is the do not have nots, who neither claim nor work and live in poor households.

The working poor are often worse off financially than people who do not work but claim benefits.

They work all hours and struggle to make ends meet, they pay full rent, full council tax and have additional costs that the workshy don't such as transport and higher food bills. They are not entitled to health care like dentists and opticians. They have little free time. They sometimes like to think of themselves as middle class.

Sounds about right to me! And they wonder why everyone is on the 'sauce'! You'll get mouth cancer, liver damage etc. Who gives a crap when you're working your fingers to the bone & getting no-where & a few doors up they get everything for free on the social & top it up 'on the rob'!

You are correct. Pride or ignorance ( or maybe a combination of both) lead to some workers being worse off than professional scroungers.

I can find nothing to disagree with there. Accurately done.

I think there's always been a working poor. Although for obvious reasons they recieve less attention in the press and on this Forum than the non working poor (benefit claimants), or even less scrutiny than the idle rich.

Be interesting to find out what the official definition of the working poor is, and how many millions there are in the country.

I think you're probably right that the working poor think themselves as middle class & don't see themselves as poor at all. I wonder why...?

I've heard a few people condeming the poor who work, whilst complaining about people who don't work. With attitudes like that, it doesn't surprise me that some people aren't that bothered. If you're going to be dispised even if you are working, it's hardly surprising some think they might as well be dispised for not doing.

You are correct. Pride or ignorance ( or maybe a combination of both) lead to some workers being worse off than professional scroungers.

Very often it is pride and ignorance that stop many people not claiming the benefits, pensions, and tax credits that they're entitled to.

It may be true that the working poor are worse of than some of those who don't work and claim - I may well be one of them (the working poor that is!).

Personally speaking I'll take the work* every time thankyou - I've got the self respect and dignity that work brings and I job that I thoroughly enjoy thanks.

By the way how are we defining poor here? I earn less than £12 thousand after tax - does that count?

* and the tax credits, ta!

Archived