The Working Poor - the new underclass?

Ruby, now you're getting the state pension, you probably wouldn't qualify for working tax credit! You might, if your earnings are low enough, qualify for pension credit though, but don't hold your breath. I've now retired properly, I gave up my last part time job just before Christmas and I'm now one of the non working poor!
I know, but I should have looked into it past years. I've probably missed out on a few thousand a year ... but hey ho! it's only money! :)

You're finally retired! Are you enjoying it? ooops, sorry chit-chatting. :blush:

Be interesting to find out what the official definition of the working poor is, and how many millions there are in the country.

The official definition of poverty is 60% or less of the median income. This site gives some good info.

I seem to recall articles last year stating that half of all children classed as living in poverty lived in households where somebody was working, so the figures are pretty high.

Why pride or ignorance?

A lot simply don't want to 'tarnish' themselves with being a 'sponger from the state', and a lot of people don't realise that they would qualify for benefits in the first place.

The official definition of poverty is 60% or less of the median income. This site gives some good info.

I seem to recall articles last year stating that half of all children classed as living in poverty lived in households where somebody was working, so the figures are pretty high.

A lot simply don't want to 'tarnish' themselves with being a 'sponger from the state', and a lot of people don't realise that they would qualify for benefits in the first place.

Great link - some really interesting facts. The one thing it can't do though is show how people spend their money. Some folk considered to be 'in poverty' won't live that lifestyle, because they cook from scratch, make clothes, and may not drink or smoke. Others may spend a large proportion of an already small income on cigs and/or alcohol, putting them before buying decent food or heating their homes. Thats particularly sad when they have children.

I would count myself as working class. Myself and my partner both work full time, we don't earn a great deal of money, but what we do earn is too much for us to claim Working Tax Credits. The limit for a couple with no children is £17,000 not a lot really to live on.

Would the working class be happy to pay more tax? perhaps they should.

I have recently become unemployed and its like having a pay increase, I can now spend my days drinking coffee in coffee bars. I just wish benefits was double, I'm sure most working class people wouldn't mind giving me a bit extra money.

I'm off to pub later today, so could you workers do some extra overtime and give me more money ;)

In short, I agree with the OP.

I would count myself as working class. Myself and my partner both work full time, we don't earn a great deal of money, but what we do earn is too much for us to claim Working Tax Credits. The limit for a couple with no children is £17,000 not a lot really to live on.

-

Underclass my arse, class is just an mental attitude enforced by wannabe snobs.

hmmmm.. I disagree:). As part of the wider scale class is, in part, a social identity like any other. Some social identities are chosen, and some are just the views of others.

Class these days, is divided up into I think about 8 main categories, and most people could place themselves in it [or be placed in it by others].

The difference with social class as an identity in today's society is that it needs more division, as the meaning of the word evolves [and as people want to disassociate being placed where they don't want to be].

Emily's post above is an example. She uses her and partners earnings to class herself.

A more traditional approach was more based on education and job status. The 'wage' thing, in a way makes less sense. What if for example, doctors were paid 10k a year? Few people would describe them as working class. On the other side of the coin, another example could be some rich upper class snob , who dropped out as a school kid, and does bugger all all day, but inherited a vast inheritance.. they may describe themselves as upper class, as most likely someone who had just met them in Tosspot Towers would consider upon first meeting.

Archived