The Working Poor - the new underclass?

There has always been the working poor, that's not a new class. The new class is the benefit underclass whose career path only ever takes them to the local Job Centre every fortnight.

I don't agree, the benefit class are fully able-bodied people on incapacity, ESA and disability.

There might be some on JSA who are scroungers, but not many, or they would be in the process of getting onto the higher rate benefits.

What makes you say this? When I was claiming JSA after being made redundant I had a long conversation with a member of the JSA team in the job centre. His opinion was the majority of people before the recession who were claiming were doing so out of choice not necessity.

you claim pension credit when you are 60 years old the only way you dont get it is if you have over a certain amount of savings i think £5,000 you also get free dental andfree prescriptions depending on your savings you should also get free council tax its about £200 for a couple
As I understand it, you don't get it if your pension is more than £130 per week. :confused: And if you're a man don't you have to wait until you're 65?

As I understand it, you don't get it if your pension is more than £130 per week. :confused: And if you're a man don't you have to wait until you're 65?

Can't a woman claim 5 years earlier? Although women live longer the retirement age is less for them, and they can claim the husband's pension (although I understand that such policy is changing).

What makes you say this? When I was claiming JSA after being made redundant I had a long conversation with a member of the JSA team in the job centre. His opinion was the majority of people before the recession who were claiming were doing so out of choice not necessity.

I personally reckon they would claim for a higher rate benefit. Having seen the classes that scrounge, I reckon we have a lot of able disabled.

Why sign on , when you can be paid weekly for a 'disability' or 'temporary illness'?

I personally reckon they would claim for a higher rate benefit. Having seen the classes that scrounge, I reckon we have a lot of able disabled.

Why sign on , when you can be paid weekly for a 'disability' or 'temporary illness'?

There are people with 'hidden' disabilities. Not everyone who has a disability fits the stereotype 'person in a wheelchair'. Conditions including MS and heart trouble are often quite unnoticeable. Many people with disabilities live useful lives, and contribute either by paid or unpaid work.

Its those who think they can do nothing/want to do nothing that are at the root of many of the problems. And cases like the one in the news recently, about the family who have 10 children - 7 of which were born after the father gave up work. He claims carer's allowance for the mother who claims DLA. Having 10 children might not be considered the most sensible decision for a woman who can't manage without a carer. Most of us who are fit and healthy would struggle to look after 10. :roll: Fortunately families like those are in the minority.

I agree with the first sentence, it is a social identity. Consider some of the best paid footballers - is Wayne Rooney middle class? I suspect Gary Lineker would be put into the middle class.

Perhaps the labels upper, middle and working class are completely outdated, although there are certainly divisions in society for all sorts of reasons. Wiki has the classifications that are used nowadays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_structure_of_Britain#National_Statistics_Socio_Economic_Classification_.282001.29

Well reading this link from wiki, I would fit the criteria for middle middle class, which seems bizarre to me as I always considered that your class is what you are born in. I would therefore see myself as working class but I guess that it isn't really that important.

NB I could never consider Wayne Rooney to be middle class. Neither would I consider Posh and Becks to be.Class is something that you just cant buy your way in to.

Archived