Who remembers 'The Nailmakers'?

rincewind

I grew up on Gleadless Valley, and can vaguely remember (when I was a kid in the 60's), the 'Nailies' when an old girl who owned the place used to to dish out Yorkshire puds and gravy with your Sunday pint. Can anyone help me to remember? There was also a row of lovely cottages running alongside the pub, which were pulled down to make way for 'the private houses.'

I thought the Nailmakers was not far from the hall in Norton where they held dances on a Saturday night in the early 60's. A good pint of Youngers could be supped on the way to see and hear Vance Arnold. Are we talking about the same pub?

The Nailmakers is on Backmoor Road, near the junction of Blackstock Road. It's a lovely old building and pre-dates Gleadless Valley by a very long time.

It's just a stone's throw from the New Inn on Hemsworth Road.

i was in there in 2006 when someone chucked an ash tray ,nicked from the new inn, through the glass front door and one of the punters said can you play nick lowe I love the sound of breaking glass.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nailmakers was supposed to be the oldest pub in Sheffield, older than the Queens Head in Pond St.

The trouble was it wasn't in Sheffield when it was built, it was in Derbyshire, it was only when they extended the Sheffield boundary ( when they built the estate ) that it was included in the Sheffield area. When I first went in (about 1960) the entrance used to be on the left hand side of the pub.

Archived