Who remembers 'The Nailmakers'?

rincewind

When I was a toddler, my Grandma used to go and have her hair done at the hairdressers just along Backmoor Road from the Nailies.

Afterwards, if it was a nice day, before we walked back down to where we lived behind the John o' Gaunt, Gran would stop off to treat herself to a half, or two, at the Nailies. I'd be given a bottle of fizzy orange and a straw.

So, somehow, as can only happen, in a 2 or 3 year old's reasoning, the "Nailmakers" became the "Hair-lacquers" :hihi: :hihi: The name stuck within the family, as they found it so funny.

• 1 year later...
If it's the same hairdresser I'm thinking of, there was also a men's barber's next door (at the back of the house), with a fish and chip shop at the front. The same family ran all three.

Was indeed. They were the Thornesby's. My mum worked at that chippy and I used to go up there to see her as a nipper. T'owd man Eddie would always give me a bag of dead good chippy-chips. My eldest sister did some time at the hairdreaaers as well. I think both shops closed during the seventies. No idea what happened to Irene or Nellie Thornesby.

The Nailies was a superb haunt for kid-drinkers. Been served in there at fifteen, although we had to get people who looked older to go up to the bar. Last time I was in there was during the 80s, and there was a massive scrap over the pool table.

PC Drive

Archived